Well, we did it. We drove to Arizona for a glorified book signing, and we made it back - alive and with our dignity mostly intact.The trip was absolutely amazing. We drove down through rain and snow and dark of night right (listening to the Twilight and Eclipse playlists, naturally) after I got out of class on Friday, and on Saturday morning we got up bright and early to go kayaking with our dear friend Chelsea Walker, who inadvertently gave us the name for our expedition. There was a sticky note in her car that said "teamestrogen.com" at the bottom... well, we were there because we were in love with a fictional vampire, so it seemed to fit.
After a stop at In-N-Out for lunch and a few minutes at the Mesa temple, we went back to our hotel for some major primping. I did almost nothing toward getting myself ready - Jennie curled my hair, Lili put my hair up, and Lauren did my makeup. I read The English Patient throughout the process in a futile attempt to not get any further behind in my school work.
We were all feeling a little silly when we went to the prom, but we pulled up and saw several middle-aged ladies in frilly dresses and we started to feel better. Then we found out that there were girls there from Canada and Los Angeles, New York and even London - well, driving down from Provo didn't seem like much of a stretch.
Stephenie Meyer was there and read the first chapter of Eclipse to us (it was hard to hear, but luckily we also got a couple of copies of the special edition of New Moon, so at dinner afterwards we read it to each other.) Stephenie told us that she realized that most of us had come to the prom stag, so she brought some options for us for prom pictures. Then she proceeded to introduce us to Edward and Jacob. Amazing. The actors couldn't quite live up to our expectations of course, but it was definitely enough to get all of those girls squealing.
There was supposed to be dancing at the prom, and there was music - everything from Muse to Crowded House to the Beach Boys - but there was no dancing. So we danced anyway and had a blast, and I'm pretty sure everyone else wished they could be as cool as we were.
The drive home was beautiful - we could see so much more of the gorgeous desert in the light (haha) and we stopped at Glen Canyon Dam to take some dam pictures.
We got home in time for ward prayer and got all kinds of crap for what our guy friends perceive as our "problem" (several offers were made for aid in forming a self-help group) but we didn't care. We knew it was geeky, but it was also fantastically fun, and why would we miss out on something so amazing just because we get funny looks when we say we drove 10 hours to get to a book signing?
This is one for the record books.
For your view pleasure, a few pictures from our expedition:
There are SO many more amazing pictures, but this gives you a pretty good overall view of our trip. Sadly, I don't have one of me falling into the Salt River, but I'm sure what you can imagine is better.
We may be some sort of crazy (thanks Blue October) . . . but I like us.
We may be some sort of crazy (thanks Blue October) . . . but I like us.
4 comments:
Well, Megan, it was every thing we dreamed it would be and more. Totally worth it in the end, plus we got to meet fake Edward and Jacob. 100 points to us.
the edward in my head is like 100 times hotter. i LOVE the title of your trip. seems very appropriate...and funny. i am jealous you went, although i would have had to avoid hearing the first chapter of eclipse b/c i can't stand the suspense....having edward dangled in front of me like some sort of dangling thing until august would be terrible!
I want to laugh and cry all at once.
I don't know if I should hate the trip because I couldn't go or if I should love the idea of having my friends be able to have such an incredible trip.
I think what I have resolved is that I will buy myself a shirt that has eclipse on it and read my pre-ordered book when it comes out.
I am surprised what a new t-shirt with Edward on it does to my saddened spirit.
I love you girls and I am so glad you went. I am pro reckless abandonment and sought after adventures. Bravo.
That'll do pigs. That'll do.
I love reading your blog, you're a very good writer. If you need any help making your curly hair look fantastic for a Twilight event, try V05 products :)if you have any thought-provoking questions...you can also try yahoo!answers!!!
Post a Comment