The teacher fair was interesting. I interviewed with one really crazy school and talked to the HR people from Alpine, and then I got a bunch of pamphlets and applications from lots of other places. It's a really weird feeling, thinking about possibly getting a job that would pay $30,000+ after years of making virtually nothing. What will I do with that kind of money? It's such a real job! I just can't decide if I'm ready to jump into teaching full time, and it's crazy trying to figure out where to go if I do. I like the idea of Alpine because I could be down here and still socialize with friends and roommates without living here per se. But didn't I want to get out of Provo? I'm putting in an application for Davis and maybe Salt Lake districts too, but really . . . hmm.
In other news, I finally found a book to read. I've been having a hard time getting into anything (not to mention my experience with Milkweed - I was reading it and the book VANISHED! I have NO IDEA where it went) and I have started about 10 books with no success. I have a huge stack on my shelf, all books that I very much want to read, but I've been having a hard time committing to any of them because I'm so scatterbrained right now anyway (too much to think about, no additional brainpower to devote to postmodernism). Hopefully this will be the spring of Tender is the Night and The Road and Their Eyes Were Watching God, and East of Eden. And actually, I am really thinking about reading Don Quixote this spring/summer, because I have this beautifully appealing new translation on my shelf and it's lovely. Anyway. All of this makes the book I finally settled into very funny, because it's much longer than all but the last two books that I just read, and probably more complicated and more depressing. I don't know why, but the other day I had the weirdest desire to read Ken Kesey. I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last year, and I can't even tell you how much I loved it, and I guess it was just time for another. So I went to the Provo library the other night (aren't you proud of my for not buying it?) and checked out Sometimes A Great Notion. And it's about 700 pages. And so far I am loving it. I remember my dad telling me about the movie once upon a time, so I actually know one of the major plot twists, and it's sad. Not surprising - so was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But I really hope I can cruise on through it, because I want to finish a book. And I want it to be this one.

And now I'm going to bed.
2 comments:
Three cheers for good, thick books! I congratulate you on finding time to read a good one.
And, if I may make a humble suggestion: Their Eyes Were Watching God is a terrible book. At least, that's what my High School self would tell you -- maybe my college self would like it, but my former self definitely didn't.
I've read The Road (just finished it, and it has jumped to a place in my top 5 all-time favorites), Their Eyes Were Watching God (I think you have to be in the mood for that one - and of course, with Dr. Cronin's voodoo background it becomes a much better read than the high school version they do), and East of Eden, which consistently has been (and is) my all-time favorite novel. Period. I haven't read Tender is the Night, but if your taste is as good as the other three, I assume it would be lovely too. :)
Post a Comment