- I confess that this week my husband and I made a second raid on the dying mall bookstore, and bought 4 books at 70% off. (If you're interested, they were Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw, Mary Roach's Spook, John Berendt's The City of Falling Angels, and John Vaillant's The Tiger. Yes, I loved In the Heart of the Sea so much that I was as excited as Eric about 4 more non-fiction books.) Our receipt actually said, "You saved 39.53." We also confessed to each other our sadness about Borders dying (even though this closing was the less awesome Waldenbooks), because we both used to go there and just browse the books when we were sad or frustrated in college. Clearly we really were meant for each other.
- I confess that one of the high point of my week was finally discovering an NPR station in the Valley. So. Much. Happiness. I listened to StoryCorps on my way home from seminary this morning and just beamed.
- I confess that after my confession last week about the book I couldn't get into, I finally got into it. I finished it yesterday, and it was actually pretty good. However, there are enough books on my shelf that I am dying to read right now that I don't think I'll be accepting any loaners for a couple of months.
- I confess that I don't really love lasagna. However, I love this pretend lasagna.
- I confess that yesterday I walked outside and thought, "Wow, it's downright pleasant outside!" And then I saw a bank sign while I was driving that said it was 95. I'm sticking to my theory that the lack of humidity yesterday made it feel cooler than it was.
- I also confess that my husband has been stalking the National Weather Service hoping that a hurricane is going to come our way so he can get a day off school. I'm hoping it will hold off for another month in case the power goes out and we lose the AC.
- I confess that I'm about to make a paper countdown chain for my parents' visit to South Texas, which is happening in less than a month.
- I confess that before bed last night, I found out that Jude Law and Keira Knightly are going to star in a new movie version of Anna Karenina (thanks Julie!). And then I dreamed about meeting Count Vronsky, who looked like Jude Law (even though I found out later that he's actually playing Karenin. Oh well.) (Also, just by the way, I looked at the article again, and Tom Stoppard is doing the screenplay! Now I really approve.)
- I confess that this week I was trying to find something to watch while I did the dishes, and nothing with any actual merit looked appealing at all. (Oh, CW. It's a good thing your shows are starting up next week.) I realized that I really wanted some ridiculous high school drama (Buffy. Basically I wanted Buffy.), so I ended up watching a really stupid ABC Family show on Netflix. And I watched the entire season. Excuse me while I read Malcolm Gladwell and pretend that didn't just happen. (Does Malcolm Gladwell count as a writer that will restore some sense of my being a thinking person?)
- From ridiculous to sublime: I confess that even though I groan when the alarm goes off every single morning, I'm starting to love teaching early-morning seminary. It brings back good memories of my own, not-early-morning experience with seminary. This morning we watched a video that included text from this amazing talk by Jeffrey R. Holland, which intensified my love for Moses 1:13, and for Elder Holland.
I'm trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes, in all the things I wish I wrote. - The Format
Friday, September 9, 2011
I love confessing.
Well, on the bright side, Friday confessionals seem to get me to post on my blog at least once a week. (Also, I wrote some for Sisters-in-Long the other night, so I'm feeling good.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay for NPR! I can't believe you don't like lasagna. That Anna Karenina looks promising--I'll guess I'll have to finish reading it now. Yay for Buffy and CW shows.
I love that Holland talk - it really got me through a lot of difficult times at BYU.
When Sean talks about seminary it makes me so grateful for release time=) I am glad you like teaching early morning though, I bet you and Eric are fantastic at it! Wish I could come!
Post a Comment