Monday, May 7, 2012

30 week stats

 Pictures to come when I finish the quilt and nursery and do something with my hair.
  • Nursery - definitely coming along. It's all painted, and on Saturday we set up the crib, hung curtains, organized the closet, and started putting things on the shelf. I still want to get some kind of changing table where I can streamline diaper stuff. Will be scouring KSL.com now that I know what kind of space we have. 
  • Quilt - almost done. I'm going to put a border on it as soon as I finish this post, and then a delightful friend offered to machine quilt it with a pattern for me, which will 1) make it really easy to finish and 2) cover up the mistakes I made and hide the fact that the blocks are not completely square. 
  • Physical health- feeling great (if slow and heavy) until last night, when I inexplicably threw up for the first time in a month and a half and then had pains in my stomach all night. At first I thought it was food poisoning, but I ate the same things that everyone else in my family ate, and no one else appears to be sick. Also, when I went to the doctor I told him I suspected that I had an infection, and was oddly gratified that I was right, even though it meant I had to buy antibiotics. I just get tired of freaking out about things and having everyone tell me it's normal. It was perversely satisfying to actually feel like I understood what was going on in my own body.
  • Stuff acquisition - still a long way to go. Need to buy a stroller and carseat, plus all kinds of bottles and whatever babies need, but I'm having a shower in about a month, so I hate to buy too much until I see what I get. I have tons of hand me down clothes, but I have nothing in newborn sizes yet, so I'm going to have to get a move on if she's to avoid being naked for her first couple of months. Also, it's more fun looking for things like diaper bags (another excuse to buy a purse!) than breast pumps and nursing bras (ugh) so I'm focusing on the fun things. (Plus, I've been lucky enough to have some people offer me stuff they haven't used or are finished using, so I figure putting things off isn't hurting my acquisition that much - it just means that I will have to do a couple of major shopping days when I'm enormous  in order to avoid not spending money on things that I might get for free or for less.)
  • Name - probably settled upon. 
  • Diapers - seriously considering going the cloth route. I feel a little crazy, especially since I've already bought a couple of boxes of disposables from Costco, but I've been reading up on it and talking to some friends who have done it, and I actually think we want to do it - especially since I think I found a way to do it without spending a ton of money up front. I'm going over to a friend's house later this week so she can show me her system, and I bought a few diaper covers on sale the other day. I always swore I would never do such a thing, but I think in the long run it will save us money, and since it's not costing me excessive amounts to get into it, I feel good about the environmental aspect too without feeling like I'm just jumping on a trendy green bandwagon. Plus, I think I'll still feel okay about keeping disposables on hand for trips out of town and such when I don't want to pack around soiled cloth diapers.
  • Mental health - more crying than there was earlier in the pregnancy. The reality is setting in, and the unpredictability of when she's coming coupled with the unpredictability of Eric's work schedule is driving me crazy. I'm reading lots of baby books and blogs to calm myself, which sometimes works and sometimes freaks me out more. But when I'm feeling mostly sane, I'm pretty excited for this little girl to get here.

No comments: