Sunday, June 29, 2008

I Can Do Anything Better Than You

Sometimes I'm pretty sure I'm a know-it-all of the most annoying sort. I don't try to be, but I remember a lot of stuff, so I do know some weird stuff lots of people don't. The problem is that I seem to have this compulsion to make that known to everyone else. If I knew something someone else said, I seem to need to say, "I knew that," to someone, and if I didn't, don't I always have an excuse?
I'm starting to annoy even myself.
It's a more interesting problem here in London, where I have a leg up on most of my peers because I've been here before. And for the most part, I think it's helpful, because lots of people ask me for advice or directions and I enjoy helping them. I think it'll be even more fun when I get to help with things like the Shakespeare papers and the walk journals. But sometimes I feel like I'm acting too all-knowing for my own good, and I'm worried that it's going to irritate people.
I really need to curb it before we get to that point. Thus the public declaration of my attempt to be less snooty.
Although to be honest, I think I may come by this righteously. Thoughts, brothers? :)

5 comments:

Katherine said...

I definitely feel compelled to make sure people know that I know things (or hear my excuse if I don't). The funny thing I've realized lately, though, is that I love being the one people come to for information, but I hate when they become dependent on that and expect me to figure out everything for them.

Guess I'll have to work on this too. We can be insufferable together, at least.

Lin said...

i did this tonight and felt the same way and thought the same thing. we are twins. haha
or maybe this is how we are such good friends, because we can sit around and be snooty and know-it-all-like together.

Makayla Steiner said...

Hm. Well I'm out of the club, because I tend to keep what I know to myself if I can (which is a kind of snobbery all it's own). I am, however, promptly stealing that cartoon and putting it on a blog I just wrote. Just letting you know. :)

Drew said...

I feel like I am like that sometimes too. I think it's part of human nature to want to share what you know (which is often more than most other people do, right?? Ha ha). I think the trick is to do it while coming across still as the cool person you are. It's a tightrope act.

Melissa said...

LOL you totally are Meagan, but that is why people love you, I'm the same way...there is a 42 year old guy at my work (wells fargo- yes that is a proper noun and no I will not give it the honor of being in capitol letters) who is a moron and as bad as it is, I tend to go out of my way to point out the fact that I know more than him. One time he was so upset at "these young kids who don't know the fifty states" so i challenged him to a State Off where we each had a half hour to write down all the states we could remember (I had 47 he had 26) being a know it all isn't bad- its being a know it all and looking down on people who are smart enough to know they are being looked down upon.