Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Drunken Lullabies

In case you're at a loss as to what to listen to this St. Patrick's Day (i.e. you're tired of the Irish Rovers and the Proclaimers) here's my shortlist of great Irish (or Irish-ish) bands:
  • Flogging Molly
  • The Young Dubliners
  • The Pogues
  • Glen Hansard/The Frames/The Swell Season
  • Damien Rice
  • Lisa Hannigan
  • U2 (but mostly songs like "Van Diemen's Land" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday")
  • Snow Patrol
  • The Decemberists - not actually Irish, but they sing about the Irish and their music steals enough from Irish music that you can get away with it. At least "Shankill Butchers.")

What else are you listening to this fine St. Paddy's Day?

2 comments:

Mark said...

Ok, so they aren't technically from Ireland, but Great Big Sea is an awesome band from Newfoundland and they have a ton of Irish influence in their music (Newfoundland was settled by a lot of Irish folk). You can find a bunch of their music on Youtube.

Miri said...

Haha, um, I 100% forgot about St. Patrick's Day until I went over to Talia's house at 6:30 pm and she pinched me. I pinched her back because I still hadn't realized why she'd done it, so then she pinched me again. :) I was sad that I'd forgotten, but then again, Hannah's the only person who would've seen me wearing green that day, so... I guess I didn't miss too much.