Sunday, February 7, 2010

Go Colts! (But I won't be watching.)

Every year, the Superbowl seems to fall on the same week as my birthday dinner with my family. This is annoying to me, because of course we watch it, and then there's football in the background of my birthday. Ick.
This year when I wasn't home, naturally the Superbowl is the weekend after my birthday, so there would have been no conflict. Additionally, one of my main beefs with the Superbowl is that I never care who's playing in it. Ever. We don't have a pro football team in Utah, and I don't have any connection to any other football team - but this year I'm in Indiana and the Indianapolis Colts are in it, so there's a ton of Colts fever (including some horseshoe-shaped cupcake cakes in Kroger yesterday).
All this considered though, my Superbowl Sunday evening will be spent with Ann and some of the other non-football-loving compatriots from the branch. We'll be eating snooty foods and watching British things - basically British Sunday + smoked salmon and stuffed mushrooms.
Aw yeah.

Favorite quote of the week from the AV Club's Tolerability Index under "Mildly Irritating": 'People who claim they watch the Superbowl for the commercials. That's like saying you go to the dentist for the magazines. There are easier ways.'
Also, for those of you ladies who can't get out of watching football today,  Win teams!


(Don't worry everyone, my now annual Valentine's Day playlist will be up soon.)

2 comments:

grburbank said...

I never even know when the Superbowl is--except a vague knowledge that it's at the end of January (or apparently the beginning of February). Football during your birthday is icky. Anyway, your snooty British (is that redundant?) evening sounds fantastic.

I think I'll celebrate too--I've got hummus and The Lion in Winter.

Sean and Jennie said...

Well Kaity had an adorable colts onesie on today, it even had a horseshoe on the butt.