It all started with this picture becoming my profile picture on facebook, and my friend Rayla saying it needed to be photoshopped with a canyon or something in it so that Eric's face would make sense. I said it would be better if it were a picture of us jumping into a volcano, a la Joe vs. the.
I believe the idea for the themed reception was Jill's. She suggested grass skirts for the bridesmaids.
Then Clark offered to bring the volcano he built for his ward luau. Or build a new one.
Other ideas for my reception (which will only make sense if you've seen the movie. Or possibly if you've seen the movie a couple hundred times, the way we have):
- Orange soda all around!
- Luggage-shaped seating/tables
- Ukulele music. Clark offered to learn.
- Volcano-shaped groom's cake with a little Joe and Patricia on top being married by the chief
- An Armani tux for Eric
- A black Bentley with a chauffeur named Marshall to take us away from the reception
- Leis - particularly those made of orange soda cans
- A wedding playlist including "Sixteen Tons," "Old Man River" and "Come Go With Me."
- Live octopus/fish to beat Eric with while he's getting ready
- Clark: "You can borrow my volcano if you need to or, heck, I'll make a new better volcano. One big enough that you can jump into. We'll even figure out a way to have it blow you out and into an adjacent pool or something. Let's make this happen."
Clark also says if I do it this way, he'll live stream it, so those of you in other states will have it made. :)


13 comments:
Might I also suggest Hawaii-themed musical lamps with rotating lampshades (of course playing the original tune) on each table, and draping swathes of dark "braincloud" fabric decorating the ceiling, maybe attached in the center by a gigantic model of the full moon?
Drew for the win!!!
I could actually learn the ukelele! I know one "song" already! And I don't look too horrible in a grass skirt. best idea ever.
I really hope my comment not only leads to this wedding reception, but also to finding my future husband. Who, hopefuly, is obsessed with lava....
Any takers?
Small correction: I said Bently limo. I did not say "black" as Marshal drove a white limo.
Also, don't forget the palm trees I offered.
Lin, thanks for the ukulele offer. Me learning really wasn't very realistic as I have no musical talent.
And Drew, I especially love the brain cloud and moon ideas. Excellent!
Good work team. Let's make this happen.
The one and only time I saw Joes vs. the Volcano was with you. I should probably see it again. Also, I look forward to a live stream since I will most likely still be in Seattle.
Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Three of the four bridesmaids are one board. Siblings of the bride are on board. Knowing the family of the groom, getting them on board won't be that difficult. I started all this because I know of a girl who had a Titanic themed wedding, but this is going to be SO MUCH BETTER. Also, I must insist on tubs of petroleum jelly being worked into the reception decor.
I must say I am disappointed that we never finished that movie, I need to rent it soon. In other news as Sean was looking over my shoulder tonight at your picture, he asked me who it was. I said Megan and he said no way. Apparently you look about a thousand times happier and more glowey now that you are betrothed to Clovis. I have to say that I agree, you have never looked prettier (and that's saying something because you have always been gorgeous!)
And when he gets in his tuxedo he'll "look like a prince in a fairy tale!" ("Shazzam!") And I also suggest having travel-sized putting greens set up for people and maybe even a themed office corner with flickering fluorescent lights and the first dance will be to "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." I'm loving this idea more and more every minute! Shouldn't someone call TLC or something??
Oh I love it. Love love love it. You were the one who introduced me to this movie a hundred or so years ago. I thank you for that!
Drew, I made a call, but I may have messed up the acronym. I called TMZ. Turns out Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, and (inexplicably) Richard Grieco are all showing up, so I thought they should know.
I LOVE it!!
Post a Comment