Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pictures, Payoff, and Waiting

Well, here we are sitting around waiting for this baby to be born. I wouldn't be waiting quite so anxiously, except my doctor told me he thought she'd come early - probably this week - and if she doesn't I'm going to be a little put out. (For those of you keeping track at home, I've now been dilated to a 3 for 2 weeks.) Even my fortune cookie mocked me last night. "Good things are coming to you - in due course of time." Stupid fortune cookie and Braxton-Hicks contractions.

This weekend, Eric and I got some last-minute free tickets to see Hairspray at Tuacahn, and after some debate about whether it was wise to go to St. George when I could have a baby any second, I decided that the birth wasn't imminent and we decided to go. We headed straight down after a family reunion in American Fork, during which my mom and aunts told us we were nuts and my dad and cousins all said, "Hey! They have hospitals in St. George!" Other than some swelling feet because it was crazy hot in St. George at an outdoor theater, the trip was a raging success. Since we got the tickets through a networking group Eric is part of, we even made a business contact with the couple we were sitting next to, which could potentially result in some future business. (And even if it doesn't they were delightful.) Also, because we stayed overnight and didn't make it back in time for our church, everyone in our ward was freaking out because they thought I'd already had the baby, which was entertaining.

Probably just as well that we didn't have to have the baby in St. George

While we were on the road, my sister-in-law, who was about two weeks further along than I am, had her baby. She is beautiful, and I'm glad that although Kristi's labor experience was rough, they both made it through and can start bonding without rib kicks.

Last week, my friend Becky offered to take some pictures of me pregnant and with Eric, and she just sent them to me. Apparently I picked the right shirt to make me actually look as enormous as I feel (I feel like I don't look terribly pregnant in the pictures from the shower, and that was less than a week before - I assure you I haven't grown that much since then - but I suppose also that at the end of your 37th week you are supposed to look enormous) BUT I was having a good hair day, and the coloring is really nice, and Becky is very talented, as I've now mentioned in like three blog posts in a row. Observe.





Finally, yesterday we closed a deal to sell Eric's car, and today we used the money to finish paying off my student loans, so now we just have to worry about Eric's, which thanks to TFA have not been collecting interest until now. We still have a way to go, but it's a really good feeling to only have to worry about one set, and the set with a lower interest rate to boot. (P.S. Remember how everyone was freaking out about the doubling interest rates of student loans? The number they were talking about doubling them to was what mine already were, so I'm not sure how I got the raw end of that deal.) In any case, we will miss Eric's lovely car, but hopefully her sacrifice means that someday we will no longer have any student loan debt, and that someday after that we can have a car that isn't a two-door Civic and will be a little more carseat friendly. Until then . . . we'll just have to squish.  (The carseat is already installed in the back seat, and it's a little crowded, but doable. And by doable I mean . . . will be doable when I get to evict this little gal and can actually climb back there without wanting to die. Eric installed the carseat and told me he'd show me how it works after I deliver, since right now it will just be frustrating and awkward.)

All in all, it's been a good week. Now if this baby would just make her appearance, it would be a GREAT week.

1 comment:

Jules said...

It's such an exciting day when you pay off a student loan! Of course, I haven't felt this yet for my OWN but it was exciting when we paid off Drew's (comparatively few...) loans.

And good luck having that baby whenever she decides to come! I hope she picks this week :)