Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Songs of the Year

Since it's the end of the year, I thought it was about time to start a list of my top songs for the year, the ones I really fell in love with. Since I fall in love with songs every day, this could be quite a list, but I'm going to try to keep it to the ones that have continued to work for me - these are winners, folks. If you haven't checked them out yet, please do so immediately. (Note: these songs did not necessarily come out this year - I just discovered them this year.)
In no particular order:
  • "A Comet Appears" - The Shins
  • "Australia" - The Shins
  • "Grey Room" - Damien Rice
  • "Falling Slowly" - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
  • "Let It All Out" - Relient K
  • "Don't Stare" - Pilot Speed
  • "Grace Kelly" - Mika
  • "The End's Not Near" - Band of Horses
  • "Funeral" - Band of Horses
  • "Paper Doll" - Rachael Yamagata
  • "Baby, It's Fact" - Hellogoodbye
  • "Starlight" - Muse
  • "Butterflies and Hurricanes" - Muse
  • "Don't Go to Pieces" - Hope of the States
  • "The Fear You Won't Fall" - Joshua Radin
  • "Honey and the Moon" - Joseph Arthur
  • "Breakable" - Ingrid Michaelson (this one is recent, but I really think it's going to stand up to the test of time)
  • "Love's Lost Guarantee" - Rogue Wave
  • "Are You On My Side" - Rogue Wave
  • "Hamburg Song" - Keane
  • "Waiting For A Superman" - The Flaming Lips
  • "A Little's Enough" - Angels and Airwaves
  • "Crown of Love" - The Arcade Fire
  • "Intervention" - The Arcade Fire
  • "The Sound of Pulling Heaven Down" - Blue October
  • "Love Me Like the World is Ending" - Ben Lee
  • "Falling" - Ben Kweller
  • "Still" - Ben Folds
  • "Learn to Live With What You Are" - Ben Folds
  • "Halo of Eyes" - Happy Cactus
  • "The Crane Wife 3" - The Decemberists
  • "Another Believer" - Rufus Wainwright
  • "Made Up Love Song #43" - Guillemots
  • "Lost On Yer Merry Way" - Grandaddy
  • "DOA" - Foo Fighters (How did I miss this song in all of the time I spent living in the same house as Spence? How?)
  • "Please Forgive Me" - David Gray
  • "All the Same" - Sick Puppies (really)
  • "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)" - Bob Dylan
  • "The Story" - Brandi Carlile
  • "Welcome to the Black Parade" - My Chemical Romance
  • "Winning A Battle, Losing the War" - Kings of Convenience
  • "Save" - The Rocket Summer
  • "What Light" - Wilco
  • "Chinese Translation" - M. Ward
  • "People Get Ready" - The Frames
  • "Vienna" - The Fray
  • "For You" - The Format
  • "Dry the Rain" - The Beta Band
  • "Two Weeks in Hawaii" - Hellogoodbye
  • "Sleeping With the Lights On" - Teitur
  • "Cold December" - Matt Costa
(I'll be adding to this when I don't have a paper to write. Enjoy.)

2 comments:

Elise said...

I would like to point out that I am indeed a Crane Wife and, thanks to Sydney, I have actually listened to part of a song involving such a title. Cool huh? Ahhh the many faceted joys of marriage.

Unknown said...

I'm proud to say, Megan, that I know exactly one of the songs on your list. Thankfully, it is the best one on the list, else I might feel sheepish.

"I could brown. I could be blue. I could be," and the man tightened his pants, "violet sky!"