
Today was the day of adventures with wind.
I'd noticed it was a little windy when I went to lunch and had to hold on to my door really tight so that it didn't blow into the car next to me, but I didn't think much of it - our building has always seemed to be in kind of a windy spot to me, and it is March, after all.
So after lunch, I was getting ready to make some calls for our franchisee in Columbus, and the phone wouldn't dial out. Just as I was about to try again, Eunice called me and asked if I could call out of the office, so it wasn't a fluke. We also tried dialing our number from our cell phones and got one ring and a busy signal.
Sweet.
Shortly after that, our internet went out - there goes about 90% of our job. At first we were blaming the guys who had installed our new printer/copier, but after Alex made a few calls, it seemed like it was "bigger than us." (Yes, that's what Alex said. As if the phones going down were an idealistic cause.)
So we all started cleaning up the office and scanning things and doing other exciting, non-internet/phone related work, and then we went to take large quantities of garbage to the dumpster. (Our sister office hadn't taken out their garbage for a long time - they'd just been letting it pile up in an empty cubicle. It made me think of Alice's restaurant - you know, the church where the pews used to be.) Anyway, I tried to secure the big box I took out in the full dumpster, but a few minutes after we came back, Matt had me come in his office to see the box tumbling across the field.
When Amanda (not roommate Amanda - the other one) went to get the mail, the wind blew some of it out of her hand and she had to chase it down in her car. Our mailbox is out on the road, so we usually get it when we're going to or coming back from lunch. She got it eventually, but it was trying to get away.
And then Eunice went to Arby's for lunch, and the glass cover of the menu blew open and hit her car, scratching the paint and breaking her side mirror. Seriously? How does that even happen?
By the time I left, I'd scanned about a thousand pages (not an exaggeration) and the phones and interwebs were still down.
Who'd have thought that the wind could disrupt our nice, quiet office so completely?
3 comments:
I love days that are out of the ordinary. So much fun!
I kept waiting to hear the part about the 27 8 x 10 glossy color photos with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.
Dude, for some reason I found that part about the phones being "bigger than us" extremely hilarious for some reason. :D
Post a Comment