Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Home again, home again.

Today I officially sold my spring/summer contract, which means I will be moving home at the end of this month. I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it makes a lot of sense to not work all summer and then dump half of it into rent when I can work all summer and not pay rent (and make my mom happy, because if I'm leaving at the end of the summer, storing up the time with her will be a good thing). They're giving me back my job at the Wight House reception center, so that means I'm now fast approaching a summer full of wedding receptions and birthday parties rather than a summer of painting estimates.
I have mixed feelings about this. I haven't been home for the whole summer since summer of '05, when I was still working my high school job. (Actually, I probably could have pulled some strings to get that job back too, but I just couldn't handle it. Everyone goes back to Cutler's, and I already did it once.) I like the idea of getting away from Provo, spending some time with the parents, weaning myself off my Hulu addiction (unless the parents finally spring for high speed internet, which I'm pushing heavily), not spending all summer working at 6 am every day. (The nice thing about the Wight House is that some days are really light - a couple of hours and you're good. Other days are 11 hours, but they're usually entertaining and involve many stressed-out brides and 80s revival bands.)
On the other hand, I will miss my current job (or at least my coworkers) and I hate leaving a job after so little time working there. I can almost guarantee a fairly minimal social life at home (especially because I'll have a crazy and unpredictable schedule involving late nights) and I'll miss my roommates, even though I plan to come and visit them often. I'll even miss my room here a little, although I am looking forward to being able to read in the bathtub again (this bathtub ended up being disappointing in the extreme, because I couldn't fill it up without using all of the hot water. And also it was disgusting.)
I'm hoping that the lack of social life will stave off the dating lectures, and I'm hoping I won't build off my parents' stress about the grad school money thing and can just figure it all out. (It's weird, because I'm super stressed about the money thing, but I can't get myself going on the solution thing except for ceasing to spend money wherever possible. Although that probably won't stop me from going to the Keane concert with Erin. Anyway.) I really don't know what's going to happen this fall, which is a whole different kettle of fish, and it makes me sick thinking about it - the debt if I do, the lack of direction if I don't, etc. I'm just going to keep heading in the going direction and see what presents itself.

On unrelated notes: 1) A couple of weeks ago, I watched Supersize Me on Hulu, and I immediately stopped going out to eat every day for lunch. I now take sandwiches or bagels or wraps, and then I go for a walk when I finish eating/reading whatever chapter I'm on. I'm not missing spending the money on burgers, nor do I miss the burgers themselves. (I do miss the milkshakes though. Oh, how I love milkshakes.)  2) I've been watching some Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu (okay, remember what I said about it being an addiction?) and I feel a little embarrassed about that, except that I kind of love it. I'm grateful that Lindsey is justifying me on this, because love of Joss Whedon aside, the monsters are silly-looking and I haven't ever been a big fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and yet still I'm hooked. It's probably the vampire-fighting librarian that's keeping me going. :) In my defense, I've also been watching a little Arrested Development, and it's also pretty awesome. (Jason Bateman, I love you. I don't think I've mentioned it before, but I thought you should know.)
Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth

 Giles, my new favorite librarian-type fictional character

Lastly, the other day I called a customer and got the following answering machine: "I hope you know that you have the power to make this a great day. You've reached Olivia . . ." Yeah. Amazing. 

2 comments:

Julie W said...

congrats on making a decision! Hopefully it puts you in the right direction. And I say don't worry about the debt...most people do for school, and the education pays for it's self in the end... Unless you end up getting married and bring all the debt with you and can't buy a house for years because of your bills and you are stuck at home with a new baby and cannot pay it off.....
Ok, I now see why you are stressed. Good luck working it all out.

Lin said...

you have to admit, there are some pretty awesome lines in Buffy. the monsters are silly (some of them get better) but whatever.

jamie put the debt in perspective...lots of other types of grad schools would leave you with TONS more debt...you'll just need to work and save your money. it's hard, but it's worth it? maybe you could even move to a hellmouth and slay some vampires!!