Monday, April 20, 2009

The Long Hot Summer

I can't believe that I'm moving out of Provo (for what is potentially the last time) this week.
I've been grabbing some last-minute book and movie access at the Orem library (I had Little Brother and Wintergirls on hold after reading about them on Janssen's blog and getting backup recommendations on Little Brother from Miri) and I'm doing some wrap up at Five Star so that they can somehow get along without me next week. (Ha. Not full of myself at all.)
I've had some slight changes of plans this summer, starting with where I'll be working. Clark managed to wrangle me up a job doing some writing for his company, Overstock Drugstore, and Spence found me a spot in his carpool. I'll be making more money than I would have at the Wight House, and even if they weren't paying me more hourly, I'm just going to be getting more hours. I've told the Wight House that I'm up for helping them out on weekends and on some evenings, so that will help too. Ready, set, make as much money as possible to ease the fear of impending student debt. Sigh.
In the meantime, I've made what I hope will be my only splurgy ticket purchase of the summer. Erin and I are going to see Keane at Kingsbury Hall, which I think is going to be a great idea. (And Lindsey, I still wish you were here for that one. Really.) My brother Spence has told me that Bon Iver and M. Ward are doing free concerts at the Gallivan Center, so that should tide me over a bit. Otherwise, I have plans to hit Henry V at the Shakespeare Festival, have some sleepovers with some of my friends from down here, read 1984 with my sister-in-law Julie, read Return of the Native with Treb, get a hold of BBC's Little Dorrit and watch all 10 hours.
AND that's all I've got. Man, I'm in a blogging drought.

6 comments:

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

oh my gosh! little dorrit is AMAZING. I am watching right now on pbs. next sunday will be the last installment of the five part series!!! mr. clemens is soooo dreamy

Krilafis said...

Barry and I are going to Keane too! He got me tickets back in February for my birthday in May! That is exciting because Keane is going to be legen...wait for it...dary.

Janssen said...

I think you'll really like Little Brother - dang, I loved that book.

Miri said...

Have you read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks? Yet another one I have to give Janssen credit for (and you indirectly because you're the one who sent me to her blog :) ) but you really should read it if you haven't. I read it in one day and loved it. I wasn't expecting all the feminism and finding yourself, but that's what made it amazing.

Also, have you read The Hours by Michael Cunningham? It's been on my list for years but I always thought it was going to be one I'd have to drag myself through, and it turns out that is not the case at all. I am pleasantly surprised. Also the writing is beautiful.

Miri said...

OH and I just saw your currently reading list. Please tell me how The Shipping News is, I've also wanted to read that for a long time and haven't gotten to it yet. Also I almost picked up Wintergirls at the library the other day and didn't because my arms were full, but it's on my list.

Lin said...

I've read Shipping News...I liked it a lot. Tons better than the movie.

I wish I was there for Keane!! Oh boy I miss having a life.