![]() |
| I made a baby bread! |
Here's my attempt to think of some interesting things to tell you that I haven't already told you.
- I have a favorite herb, and it is rosemary. Mmmm. I can't wait for more rosemary rolls later this week.
- I miss playing the piano. Even though I'm not very good due to several years of lack of access, as soon as I have somewhere to put one, I'd like a little upright so I can plink around again. I like the idea of singing with my family around the piano, Little Women style.
- I'm living in almost-Mexico, and I hate Mexican food. This is mostly because I dislike peppers (yes, even mild bell peppers - I just think they're icky), onions (at least when I have to chew on them) and beans. I do like fish tacos, but wouldn't you know it, that's more of a Baja thing and they don't really have them here.
- About some things, I have a near photographic memory. It used to freak out guys I'd go on dates with, because I'd remember random, insignificant things they told me and came off like a stalker. (I'm not a stalker! I just remember things! I also know who directed a large number of movies I've never seen, several insignificant dates in history, and all of the lyrics to "We Didn't Start the Fire. Don't flatter yourself!)
- I'm really good at telling twins apart - not just by looking at what they're wearing when they come in, but actually figuring out the difference and consistently getting it right. It served me well when I was teaching 7th grade twins whose teachers never knew which was which, and serves me even better with my nephews.
- I love to cook, and I especially love trying out new recipes. I inevitably end up trying them out when I'm going to be feeding lots of people. I'm always terrified that it's going to be a giant disaster and they'll all go hungry or get sick, but I can't help it. I live on the edge, okay?
- I love buying purses. It might be one of the girliest things about me, and that includes my excessive SLA (Sumptuous Literary Adaptation) collection, including two different versions of at least three Jane Austen books.
- I am excessively attached to my favorite kitchen appliances. My electric fry pan is affectionately known as Lawrence-Marigold. I think my KitchenAid might end up being named Susannah (a name I would like to give to a future daughter, but probably won't be able to because it's more associated with "Oh Susannah!" than "The Marriage of Figaro" and that Leif Enger novel. Some of you may also remember the traumatic episode with my Egg and Muffin Toaster.
- I'm a total sucker for good TV. Especially when it involves monsters and aliens.
- I love to write, but I can't see myself writing a novel. Maybe some narrative non-fiction, like a memoir? Basically, I just want to write about myself.
- The first incompatibility my husband and I discovered in our relationship is that I need to have the blankets tucked in at night, and he likes to untuck the blankets and wrap them around himself, which drives me crazy. Who knew that anyone disputed the need for hospital corners?? We're working through it. Mostly with the blanket tucked in halfway across and me throwing the blanket back if it isn't staying where it's supposed to stay.
- I'm an occasional insomniac. In fact, I kind of want this journal because of it. It's even harder when my tossing and turning is keeping someone else awake.
- I both want and don't want a dog. Mostly, I think I want to name a dog.
- I hate it when things feel unfinished - the apartment, an assignment, a book . . . it's one of the reasons I decided I couldn't be a teacher. It was too much of a constant, never-ending slog. (Sorry, kiddies.)
- I still think about going back to England almost every day.

9 comments:
Oh England. I was just saying last night that I want to go back.
I totally have the same memory thing. I have to be really careful what I say to people because I come across as a completely insane stalker. (Scary!)
My husband and I had the same problem at the beginning of our marriage. It ended in a shouting match at 3am (what, I'm not a nice person when I jerk awake at 2:45 am because I am FREEZING). Now we each have our own duvet and we are blissfully happy.
I feel like I should name my appliances. I loved naming my dog, so I can imagine that it would also be fun to name appliances.
Finally, I am totally stealing this idea.
The end.
Yay, you're doing it! I am happy.
Because I am this self-involved, and because if we were still roommates we totally would have had this conversation as soon as I read your post or while you were writing it...
1. I have a least favorite herb, and it is rosemary. Sad day. I once made rosemary potatoes for Mike's family's Sunday dinner, and though they looked amazing, that is how I found out that I don't like rosemary. Neither do they.
2. Same.
7. I am really excited that you have a name for SLA, because now it will be easier for me to justify myself to Mike when I do the same thing. "It's not just me, you know! There's a name for this!"
10. Same.
11. Oh Megan. Every night for the past almost three years, Mike and I have fought over the blankets. He likes to wrap them around his feet, so he brings his corner into the middle of the bed and ends up pushing most of the blanket onto me, then getting mad at me in the middle of the night for stealing them.
13. I am a dog person, but Mike wants a cat and I have consented under the non-negotiable condition that said cat be named Mr. Tumnus.
15. I think about going almost every day.
Thanks for blogging again. Seriously, I missed you. :)
I forgot to mention how much I love the baby bread. A lot.
A lot of native Utahans who move to Texas struggle with the spicy Mexican food, I've noticed. My dad couldn't stand spicy food when he and my mom moved to Houston. Now, we all love it. In my case, it can't be *too* spicy.
I can honestly say that I've never felt closer to you after reading this list. It's like I wrote this list, with a few exceptions...namely: my intense desire to name a pet has actually turned into an intense desire to own a pet. The only real problem is I want a girl pet and all my best names are boy names. Such a dilemma; Mexican food is my favorite; I can't play the piano so I can't really miss it.
Seriously. We should make a pact....(winkie face)
Once we thought I was deathly allergic to rosemary at Whitney's apt. It turned out I was just allergic to the residual pollen of flowers that had already been trashed.
I'm sorry that you don't love Mexican food because it's pretty awesome.
Sometimes I remember a really good memory (usually concerning books and movies) and other times ... not so much.
I want a KitchenAid mixer. I do not necessarily want to name it. Sussanah is pretty awesome though.
Love the list.
er... sometimes I have a really good memory. and sometimes I can't edit.
Yeeeeah, I'm totally with you on number 13.
Post a Comment