Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 28

day 28- a picture of you from last year and now, how have you changed since then?


Okay . . . my computer crashed and then I forgot to finish the LAST DAY. I blame the trauma of recovering everything (but losing the running list of people to send thank you cards to that was on my desktop - if you mailed it to San Benito and I can't remember, I'm sorry! I did my best to reconstruct!) (Also, I swear I am finally going to be sending out thank you notes soon!)

Without further ado:

Last March, Chicago


December, Bountiful.

First, the short version.

Valentine's Day last year: The Godfather on AMC with Jill. Delightful, slightly bitter, eating Ann's leftover cake. Mmm. 
Valentine's Day this year: Made dinner with Eric (Kristi's sage and gorgonzola steak, Sister Daniel's sweet potatoes, stuffed mushroom caps, homemade rolls which worked perfectly this time), roses + a bag of dirt and some seeds so I could start my herb garden, stop having cilantro go bad in my fridge, and emulate Ann Cox; after a long discussion about which romantic movie to watch, we both decide we'd rather watch the X-Files. 

It's kind of crazy how much things have changed. That picture from Chicago was about two weeks before Eric and I started dating (in fact, the day I got back from Chicago, Eric and I went on a pre-date to see Avatar - he'd offered and I wanted to see if before the Oscars so if it won I'd have a right to be disgusted, and also I wanted to hang out with Eric). Last year I thought I still had more than a year left of grad school, I was living in Indiana with Jill and Ann, I was feeling just as single as ever, going out for sushi lunches with my friend Eric to talk about our insecurities, trying to decide whether to go home for the summer, and watching the final season of Lost. I'd fallen in love with Bloomington, my hair was shorter, Jill and I were attempting to watch all of the Best Picture winners, and every week was British Sunday.

A year later, I'm married, I've been in a long distance relationship, I graduated earlier than I expected (due to the not-so-sudden interest in a certain boy who was moving to Texas), I'm job hunting and attempting to change my name, working my way through the X-Files and Plants vs. Zombies with Eric. Instead of being four hours from Chicago, I'm four hours from San Antonio. I've gained a new family, I've swallowed most of my words about short relationships (whoops - but we HAD known each other for a year and a half by the time we got married - and so far there still haven't been any horrible surprises). I miss my friends and don't love the place where I live as much as I loved Bloomington, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all of my days besides continue working online and looking for library jobs, but I'm becoming a much better cook and I'm trying to grow some herbs on the balcony. I love my husband, and although I never would have expected to live here and don't know where we'll go next, I'm glad that I know with whom I'll be going, and that I kind of like him a lot. 


2 comments:

Janssen said...

I love this. I am so so happy for you guys.

grburbank said...

So cute. Every year seems shorter and shorter, but a lot can still happen in a trip around the sun.