It seems crazy that with so much going on in our lives right now, I actually never really feel the desire to post on this blog. However, here are some things I've been thinking about, in no apparent order.
- It's funny how you can know something is a good decision without really being sure why. When we moved back to Utah, we felt good about it, but I've had lots of misgivings about the timing and money and other issues, so occasionally I wonder if it was in fact a good idea. Then I realize how much I love being able to do all kinds of things to get ready for the baby, like painting a mural the nursery and buying fabric with my mom and ordering the crib (because yeah, we would not have moved the crib in June). And then I get some bins full of my sister-in-law's maternity clothes JUST when I was about to run screaming to the store because I'm sick of having 5 shirts that look decent on me and several of them are about to be too warm for spring, so suddenly I have a huge borrowed maternity wardrobe and I don't have to fork out a couple hundred dollars for paneled pants and baggy shirts. And then I feel ill when I look at meat at night and Mom decides it's her night to make dinner, even though it's clearly way past my turn. And then we get free tickets to see RadioLab at the museum of Natural History next week, and tickets to go to Conference this weekend, and I am content. And THEN I unload the dishwasher and remember how happy I am not to be washing smelly dishes by hand.
- Speaking of buying cribs (a few run-on sentences ago, if you remember), it is terrifying. Everything I read seems to point to certain death if you buy the wrong crib for your baby, and I have to remind myself that some of these cribs have been on the market for years and would have been pulled if there had actually been a problem. And crib mattresses! Not firm enough! The coil counts! The pressure to buy things made of organic substances at exorbitant prices! We finally found our economical solution by going to Babies 'R' Us to look at some cribs that Consumer Reports said were safe and a good deal, and then we had the same crib shipped to Wal-mart for about $60 less. I found a mattress I felt okay about and bought that too, and then tried not to be anxious about it and instead thought about the cute crib sheet I had that would match the room and the quilt that can't actually go in the crib (since you can't put ANYTHING in a crib or your baby will SUFFOCATE and it will be on your head FOREVER).
- I thoroughly enjoyed the movie Midnight in Paris, which we saw earlier this week. My enjoyment had everything to do with the pleasure I took in recognizing the 1920s icons before they announced who they were supposed to be. Ernest Hemingway sounded exactly how I would expect Hemingway to talk, and Adrian Brody was fabulous as a rhino-obsessed Salvador Dali. (I also very much enjoyed going to The Hunger Games with our friends Josh and Paige, but everyone enjoyed it, so I'm not going to spend much time talking about it, except to say that I was pleasantly surprised about how much I liked Lenny Kravitz in it.)
- We are about to be working on a second mural, a space-themed one in a neighbor's house. I'm putting aside my desire to have the baby mural done because I'm kind of excited about painting planets.
- Sunday night we were at my brother's house, and we were testing my nephew on his colors. It went down like this: "What color is daddy's shirt?" "Blue!" "What colors is Megan's shirt?" "Red!" "What color is Grandpa's shirt?" "Hulk!"
- Influx of awesome new music recently - new Shins album, new Andrew Bird album, new Punch Brothers album, etc. Life is good.
A couple of pictures to fill out the post:
 |
| Here's me about a week ago, 23 weeks. |
 |
| Here's the baby girl about 3 weeks ago, at 21 weeks. |
 |
| Some trees from the nursery mural in progress. That branch over on the left side is going to have a possum hanging from it by its tail soon. |
 |
| A hedgehog from the nursery in progress. |
 |
| And a raccoon, who is very chill. |
 |
| The walrus sketch Eric used to try to convince me walruses belonged in the nursery mural. Cute as they are, his efforts failed. |
5 comments:
I LOVED Midnight in Paris! Largely due to the same reasons you did. Also: Paris. and Woody.
The nursery is darling! Too bad about the walrus though. Maybe the sketch should have included a carpenter and oysters.
Every now and then, it might good to remember Lorelai's "And Sookie, in pioneer times kids traveled across the county in covered wagons and survived." Baby proofing and vigilance are important, but most of us survived infancy just fine even without the perfect crib.
I was SO SO nervous as well about where Brett would be sleeping! I was scared to death because we have a hand me down drop down crib which is in fact not kosher in stores anymore. It was only after my mother-in-law told me that 4 of her boys slept soundly and safely in a similar crib that I was finally able to rest well at night=) I am a worrier and based on your humorous portrayal of the situation I doubt you are having panic attacks about SIDS, but I thought I would share some unsolicited advice (because everyone will give it to you and I just can't help it!). Whenever I was panicing after Brett was born about how he was surely going to die in his sleep from hunger or suffocation or seizures or a comet shooting down from space directly into his bassinet, Sean would remind me that Brett is Heavenly Father's son and if He chooses to take him home, I can't do anything about it and I just have to have faith. It always seemed to help me to know that God was in charge and not the mattress I purchased=)
I also offer two book recommendations because again with the unsolicited advice, I just can't help myself! Secrets of the Baby Whisperer! I read it and loved and yes it changed my life=) Also, Babywise is supposed to be awesome and along the same lines as Baby Whisperer, I didn't actually read it but have heard wonderful things about it and plan to read it before baby #2.
That is all for now! By the way, I think you should let Eric have the walrus, its just so stink-in cute=) lol
That is an adorable walrus. I would probably allow him in my nursery, right next to the elephant and the cannibal (which are still the only things I can draw). My kids will most likely have a dubious grasp of reality from day one. Will it make Eric feel any better to know that he'll get to paint the walrus when I commission you for the muraling of said future alternate-reality nursery? Probably not, but you can give it a shot telling him.
In other news, I was ridiculous when I saw Midnight in Paris; as each new famous amazing artist debuted I got more and more excited until I'm pretty sure I was actually getting emotional. Mike was embarrassed and it was lucky that the theater was mostly empty. I looooved that movie. It's one of the four things I'm putting on my birthday list this year (next to The King's Speech).
Hey, Megan. Being pregnant doesn't mean you can get away with never writing on your blog anymore! We have expectations, you know. So yeah. Stop that.
P.S. You are looking fabulous and I'm glad you have received free clothes.
:)
Oh Megan, this post is amazing on so many levels. I have to agree that buying cribs is a stressful business. Blaine and I settled for some from Ikea. They are low to the ground and the bars to slide up and down or anything. But they have foam mattresses, I don't know if that is good or bad.
First of all, you looking stinking cute in that picture.
And second of all, wow, you guys are artists! The mural is looking amazing! And I really do like the color green you picked. It doesn't seem to bright to me, but maybe it is just the pictures. I've actually had a couple of people mention to me that they were wanting some painting done in their houses. Would you mind if I sent them your way?
Becky - we totally looked at some from IKEA! I was all set to get them, but then we saw the one we ended up with and liked it a little better, so here we are. And yes, please do send people our way (although Eric has a lot of things going with his actual job in April, so it might be May before we can get to it - since he's the actual artist and I'm more like the consultant/assistant). We painted Jamie's house the other day, which was fun.)
Post a Comment