Monday, June 25, 2012

Grateful

I've been feeling really stressed/sore/ready to be done being pregnant for the last few days, and the combination of these things has been sometimes making me overwhelmed/snippy/unhelpful. But I was thinking today about just how ridiculously blessed we have been, and I'm going to make a list of the things that have made me feel so very, very lucky lately. Please indulge.


  • I am incredibly grateful for this new baby that's about to enter our lives. I am grateful that my pregnancy has been relatively easy (despite some major nausea early on - I still never missed a day of work or was seriously incapacitated) and has gone well. I'm grateful that my baby has been healthy and that so far my body seems to be doing what it needs to do to get ready for labor. I'm grateful that it was so easy for us to get pregnant, since I know so many people who have really struggled and really ached for a baby. I don't know why we were so lucky. 
  • I am grateful that we've been able to live with my parents for the last few months as they've been preparing to serve a mission for our church. It has been so wonderful to be able to make things with my mom and go shopping with her when the nesting urges hit - plus, she feeds us, especially when I've been feeling tired/sick/excessively pregnant. I feel a little guilty about how much I let my parents take care of us, but they've been kind of amazing. 
  • I am so grateful for all of the gifts and hand-me-downs that now fill our nursery. I got an incredible haul from family, friends, and neighbors at baby showers (I'm still trying to figure out where it should all go - but once I do I am taking pictures and posting all about the nursery - later this week, I promise).  I've also been absurdly lucky in the "Hey, do you have one of these? Want my old one?" department. I have a niece who is two years older than our baby, and I have bins of amazing hand-me-downs from her now organized by size in my closet, along with some other awesome supplies. My sister-in-law offered me maternity clothes hand-me-downs, which saved me TONS of money and days of hating the few maternity clothes I invested in. A friend just offered me her bouncer because someone passed one down to her, and it is beautiful and yellow and just needs a new battery. Another friend offered me a sling and a boppy, and if I can ever get down to see her, that will be amazing. I need to remember all of this when I'm getting rid of my baby stuff someday. 
  • I'm grateful that Eric has been so busy with his work. Sometimes it's frustrating because he's working long hours, but most of the time he is here if I need him, even if he's working, and the fact that the business has been so busy is a huge blessing for a little start-up family business. 
  • I'm grateful that I have had so many great friends who empathize with me about pregnancy and pre-parenting stress and talk to me about it ALL THE TIME so I can give the people I live with a break from my constant chatter about sleep methods and breastfeeding and round ligament pain. 
  • I am grateful that I finally found some awesome, distracting books so I can stop feeling like a lump watching TV all the time when I'm feeling tired. 
  • I am grateful that the doctor thinks this baby might come a little early, although I will be less grateful if he is wrong. 

No comments: