Friday, November 9, 2012

Confessions!

Time to bring it back, folks.


  • I confess that I wasn't sure I wanted to get into The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, because a) it looked massive and b) it was about a mute kid with lots of dogs. But it is lovely. Sometimes I get so frustrated by long books that don't hold my attention that I forget how wonderful it is to read a really engaging, beautiful, fascinating book with some length. (Plus, more time to just bask in reading without having to figure out what I'm in the mood for next!)
  • I confess that back right after CB was born, Eric went on a business trip to Chicago and bought her an Obama onesie. We weren't even sure who we were voting for at the time, but it was just so funny that he couldn't resist. I couldn't bring myself to post the picture on Facebook, because I didn't want there to be any political ridiculousness on a picture of my sweet baby, but I'm posting it here because it is darn cute. If you try to start a fight about it I will beat you. (Or just remove your comment.)
  • I confess that ultimately, I didn't actually get out and vote because I never got around to getting my Utah driver's license. I feel bad about this, but I was so sick of the campaigns that I didn't think I would care - and then on election day I was really wishing I was voting, because I cared about things besides the presidential race, and my vote would have counted for those things. Next time. 
  • I confess that I majorly need an internet fast. Or at least a facebook fast. Working on at least cutting down on the number of times I check it. This is why I should never have a phone with a data plan. Ever.
  • I confess that I am simultaneously looking forward to and dreading out trip to Lubbock for Thanksgiving. I am really excited to see everyone. I'm really not excited to make the drive with my 4 month old, and to probably ruin all of the work I've been doing to get her naps back on track after her cold. (Or, you know, it could be 16 hours of screaming.)
  • I confess that, while I am supportive of my husband's Movember mustache-growing endeavors, I really hope I can convince him to shave it off for family pictures in Lubbock.
  • I confess that I bought tickets to see an opening night showing of Breaking Dawn Part II with my friend Debra. I confess that one of the reasons I was glad she moved back to Utah was that I knew that she would go with me - and have the right spirit for it. (More enjoyment of the ridiculous than fangirliness, but enough fangirliness for it to still be fun.) CB, please don't choose that night to decide to break your streak of sleeping through the night. It would be very unfortunate for Daddy. 


4 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Meg!

I so enjoy your posts and BEAUTIFUL photos of your daughter. Her smile is a blessing!
And your confessions made me smile :)

Not sure what kind of books you are into, but I have been on a Lauren Winner kick. She writes a lot about her journey toward God--but she's hilarious and insightful in the process. So there's a thought too.

My boyfriend is also growing a beard that now approaches hobo stage. He was Jesus for Halloween (long story there), so I let it go. Last time he got it trimmed was for my birthday in May. Hoping he trims it before Thanksgiving photos, but also trying to avoid being the naggy girlfriend.

And as for the internet fast...I took facebook off my phone, which helped. And have set limits on when I can go to fun sites like yours. I justify my 2-3 times a day as service if I post encouragement or send people notes letting them know they are in my thoughts/prayers. Maybe that will help?

Thanks for keeping us updated on your life. Sending love from WI!

Rachel

Jules said...

This information is kind of past the point of relevance, but for future reference, you don't need a Utah license to register as a Utah voter. All you have to do is fill out a little (super easy) voter registration form and then show up with alternative ID, like a passport. I know this because I still (STILL) do not have a Utah license myself, haha. Oops.

Drew said...

Movember is gross! I will never understand it. No-shave November, fine, get yourself a nice hearty beard, but a mustache? Few people can pull off that look, and most shouldn't try.

Also, I am quite surprised, knowing you as I do, that you skipped voting this time around! I can understand it, but still.

Yay for confessions. When can we get together with you two and stuff??

Meg said...

Rachel - thank you for you lovely comment! I will put that author on my list, and I love your suggestion (and your encouraging posts, of which I have been a recipient.)
Julie - Ha! Apparently I should have looked into it even a little bit. You can tell how high my apathy level got. Someone said something about a DL and I just went with it.
Drew - yes, but we run a company called Mustache Power Productions, so participation is kind of obligatory. And we would love to get together with you two whenever! (As long as we're back here by about 9:00, that is, because that's when CB is typically heading off to dreamland.) We're heading of town next week for Thanksgiving, but we'll only be gone about a week, and you know how dearly I want to be friends with Julie in real life!