Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Why I Would Consider Having Our Next Kid Somewhere Other Than a Hospital

In an attempt to be fair while writing this post, I gave it a couple of days so that it wouldn't just be a raging spewing of fury. But it is still going to be lengthy and ranty, so if you don't want to read it, I won't be offended.

When I was pregnant with CB, I watched The Business of Being Born. It made me ask some very pointed questions to my doctor and made me leery of inductions, epidurals, pitocin, etc, but I was still completely on board with going the whole doctor/hospital route, and although I wasn't POSITIVE I'd have an epidural, I was not opposed to the idea, and ended up having one and having a wonderful experience with it.

And I had a fantastic experience with my hospital. I loved our nurses. I loved the labor room. The recovery room wasn't as beautiful, but it was cozy and there was a couch that turned into a bed for Eric. I loved that I could have CB in the room with me if I wanted, but that the nursery nurses would happily take her until she needed to eat so I could get some rest before I took her home. It was a perfectly lovely experience that I thought I would be happy to have again.

Until we got the bill and then proceeded to have a completely NIGHTMARE with the hospital billing department, culminating this week with our being turned over to collections and putting the rest of our doctor's bill on a freaking credit card so that we could stop dealing with the madness.

So here's the story.

  • First, when we were having our doctor's appointments, the people at the office gave us an estimate of what our share of our doctor's services for all of the checkups and the delivery would be, and it came to around $500. We understood that this didn't include our share of the hospital stay, but it was less than we'd been estimating, so we were thrilled. We paid it off before CB was even born. So imagine our surprise when we got a bill from our doctor for an additional $900+. When I called to ask about it, the billing department  said that our insurance just must not have covered as much as they'd thought. Whoops. 
  • We also got bills from the hospital, where there were patients confusingly referred to as Megan Long and Megan Long BG (for Baby Girl, apparently.) 
  • Both bills looked really similar, and had cited the hospital website as an optional way we could pay our bills. 
  • The doctor's billing department called to set up a payment plan. We worked out an amount I would pay each month, and I made the first payment. I called and paid of the blessed anesthesiologist. I made a payment on our hospital bill. I set up a reminder on my phone so that I could make another payment the next month, since the billing people told me they couldn't set up automatic withdrawals. 
  • The next month I paid both bills online. I called the number on the bill because I was having a difficult time making one of the payments, and they told me that was because BG Long was under a non-existent SS number, so I could just put in zeros and pay that one. Done and done. 
  • In November, I got a notice saying our account was being considered for collections. We called and told them we were making payments, and they said, "Hey! We'll just set it up for automatic withdrawals! $125 for Megan, $125 for BG Long. It will be paid off in a few months." We said that was awesome. Didn't think any more about it. 
  • In December, on Christmas Eve, our account was submitted to collections. We found out when we got back from visiting family for the holidays. I called the collection agency Monday morning and explained that this must be a mistake, because I'd been paying my bill every month and it was coming out of my account. They treated me like a deadbeat, and then they suddenly realized that they problem was that the hospital (where my doctor works) and my doctor (who works at my hospital) have completely different billing companies. (And by the way, the name the collection agency gave me was different than the name the billing department called itself.) And that somehow after that first time I paid my bill, I had never managed to talk to the right people again or realized that I was only paying the hospital, so my account with the doctor was, in fact, 4 months delinquent. Great. 
  • So I called my doctor's office for the number of their billing company, which, by the way, was a number I had never seen before. I'd called them before, but with the number on which they called me. It was not the same number as the one on the bill. 
  • They also treated me like a deadbeat. And I cried on the phone and felt like a complete idiot, while the lady at the office told me it was out of her hands (even though the collection people had already told me they could withdraw if from collections if they wanted to). She told me I could just pay it all if I wanted, but otherwise I'd have to deal with collections. Swell. 
  • About this time Eric was coming home, so I let him deal with the rest of it so I would stop crying to Yolanda and Miss Lacey (really) on the phone. He called EVERYONE and asked them for itemized bills so we could make sure that we weren't being double charged for anything. He asked what we should do if we had a dispute ("Oh, you won't have one," said Yolanda) and he paid the collection agency. I suppose we could have just paid the doctor if we were going to do it that way, but Yolanda had stopped answering her phone after Eric asked her about disputes. 
The whole thing was a ridiculous mess. And once I'd figured out what had happened I felt kind of stupid - except the part where I don't because the whole thing was INSANE. I had no idea that the doctor's billing company was totally separate. I'm almost positive that both bills had the hospital website on them for paying your bill online. His office is IN THE HOSPITAL for crying out loud. I later found a note that said something about it on the back of a bill, but it looked like a watermark and honestly, I never read it. I was a little overwhelmed when the bill came, so . . . sorry. And hey, there were like 19 bills that came, and we just kept waiting for them to quit coming, and they just kept coming, all with different amounts and different things that the insurance had covered, and it's possible that there was an extra bill in there and we didn't realize that we owed an extra $1000. 

I just can't get over the feeling that they do this on purpose to get us to pay more without realizing it. I know so many people who have had horrible experiences with hospital billing, especially within my hospital network. I was telling a friend about it the next  day, and she said she's spent time yelling at people because she felt like they were actively trying to prevent her from paying her bill. 

And this doesn't even address the fact that, while I liked my doctor just fine, he wasn't even there to deliver CB's head, and I'd been listening to my nurse say, "Little pushes!" for 20 minutes before I couldn't keep the dang baby in any more. He came running in to pull the rest of her out and to sew me up (while I FELT IT, thanks a lot!) but he was there for a total of 10 minutes and then came and waved at me before he signed my hospital release two days later. And then he sent my insurance a bill for $5400 for JUST HIS SERVICES, and we ended up paying $1500 of that if you count what we paid before CB was born. That had nothing to do with the two days I stayed in the hospital eating gross oatmeal and having people push on my stomach.

After the whole mess was (we hope) sorted out, Eric said, "You know, it makes me want to find a birthing center or something for the next one so we just get ONE BILL for the whole thing." I don't know if that's how it works, but good grief. I had an insanely uncomplicated birth that we ended up paying more for than my sister-in-law did for her complicated emergency C-section (which, yes, was because they had better insurance, but we thought ours was better than it apparently was, thanks a lot, COBRA.) 

Medical billing is broken. And MountainStar Medical Group, you may have lost my business, since clearly you want to get as much of my money as possible without telling me what I'm paying for.  

8 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

That made me stressed and frustrated just reading it. And I'm unmarried and have no kids! BUMMER.

But, I'm glad it's apparently a done deal. :S

Jules said...

Yikes! Yeah, hospital billing is ridiculous! We got about twenty different bills from my stuff (from various doctors and doctor-type people and the hospital) over a couple of months. But of course some weren't ACTUALLY bills, just stuff telling us what the bill WOULD be, if, in fact, it were a bill. We did the whole "pay it until they stop coming" route because, seriously, it's so completely confusing! I don't know how it makes sense to anyone. The bright side is that like six months later we got a nice check back because our insurance wound up paying more (???). I didn't understand that either but it seemed like a bit of karma.

Elise said...

Ugh ugh ugh ugh. I'm so sorry this whole thing was a mess for you. It's enough that you have to go through all the emotional crap that comes along postpartum, but then you get slapped in the face with money issues. I suppose the answer to all your woes is this: move to California so you can be our neighbors and get Kaiser insurance wich does send you one bill with everything you and the insurance are paying written out nicely. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Nicole and Garrett said...

Insurance is such a mess! I am dreading my time at the hospital just because of this. And I can't get my baby insured, so I'm sure that will be fun to deal with as well. Next time we're quitting our jobs and going on Medicaid!

Melanie said...

We had a similarly frustrating experience having our first (BYU insurance at the Provo Regional Medical Center). It didn't help that it was my first experience trying to figure out all the medical insurance lingo (copays vs coinsurance vs deductible and what in the world their codes n such mean on each page...). I kept getting new statements saying "you owe this much for this charge.....nooo, this much... no....this much." So I was waiting for the billing center to figure it out with the insurance and then all of a sudden they were threatening to send us to collections....Oye.

So I paid it off right away to avoid collections, and in the end, I discovered about 6 months to a year later that they had charged me for stuff I didn't get. (The dr. told the nurse "give her 3 cc's of pitocin" and after I started pushing on my own, he told her never mind (seriously like 5 seconds later) and I got charged for 6 cc's of pitocin...... She must have written it down twice and charged for the order and for cancelling it. :-s

They also charge like $10-50 for...an aspirin. Seriously dumb charges like that. Sometimes people get charged $$ for using some kleenex in the room. It's all so frustrating!!

With my 2nd, things weren't so bad. We had much better insurance. (Paid just over $800 for the whole thing.) And now here with our 3rd, we live in the same place and would use the same dr/hospital, but now have crappy insurance. I figured out that the raw cost (pre-insurance) for our complication-free delivery with #2 (with whom I was in the hospital for a whopping 30 min before he was born and the dr. just got there in time to catch & stitch me up...and we left just after 24 hrs) was over $8k. With our new crappy insurance, I'm estimating we'd be paying about $3800+ this time out of pocket....

We ARE using a midwife this time (for many reasons, really). FYI she says she tries to keep her fees low and it's a flat rate of $3k no matter what (which covers you and the baby, all checkups, delivery, 6 weeks postpartum - incl. any q's for you and the baby, emails any time throughout, home visits for 1-2 hrs or however long you need, etc...) I'm estimating we'll have to pay $1500-3k of it, not quite sure with how our insurance works b/c of charges and deductibles for baby/mother and it's obviously out of network, but still cheaper and less hassle than a hospital. And a whole lot more SERVICE. (She also has amazing stats, which don't hurt. The only people she has had even *tear* or have to transfer to the hospital were people that didn't follow her diet/instructions throughout pregnancy.)

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I know dr/hospital bills can be so frustrating! Sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you have great experiences with it in the future!

leoele said...

I deal with people's dental insurance on a very regular basis. It's bad. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that by choosing what they cover, they end up dictating treatments, thus robbing patients of their right to autonomy.

One last thought: if you think this is going to get better one the government gets it's hands into the inner workings of medical insurance, it won't. Pennsylvania state dental welfare is one of the biggest headaches I have to deal with on a regular basis. I have to Pre-Authorize all major procedures, which takes them about 6 weeks to get back with a decision.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry.

Are you up to writing letters to all these people?

mkgs said...

I don't know how I missed this post before! I knew you'd had trouble with your billing but this is just ridiculous. I'm all tense and furious now on your behalf, just having read it. I've had too, too many similar experiences myself and I know exactly how draining they are. I'm so sorry.