Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wearing a mask or refusing one?

Are we surprised? Naturally I'm not actually accomplishing anything on the first reading day. (I started on my editing assignment, but I got stuck and I'm taking a break.)
I'm wondering why I can't take myself seriously, or why I take myself too seriously. I'm not sure which it is. I was practicing for my triple swing test the other night, and my friend was trying to help me with styling - throw out the arm here, act flirty here, etc. During the change hands behind the back he was trying to get me to play with my hair, and friends, I couldn't do it.
I don't know why it's so impossible to act flirty in a dance, but I think it has something to do with my inability to flirt in real life . . . at least in any way that actually seems real. I feel ridiculous and like a poser and I just can't do it. I have no problem skedaddling and looking like an idiot, but I can't even pretend to act sexy. Why is that? Am I really that inhibited when it comes to this sort of thing?
And if that's the case, why did I sign up for another dance class?
I'm not sure if this post actually makes sense, nor am I sure why I'm posting it. But I think I am making myself look silly by trying not to look silly - like when they make you sing in church when you're in Young Women and you giggle so no one will actually think you take yourself seriously. Hmm.
I think this is why I love the polka.

3 comments:

Janssen said...

i have a hard time with that sort of thing too. A friend of mine had a karokee party (can we discuss my worst nightmare?) at Christmas where they expected us to sing and DANCE alone, one at a time, in front of a wannabe American Idol panel. Wow, it was the most awful thing ever. I cannot prance around to "Cowboy Take Me Away." I would rather die.

Krilafis said...

Can I get on my soap box for a minute although it has nothing to do with dancing in a classroom?

I think that you flirt fine. Girls have individual ways to flirt and flounce. Some girls are incredibly sexy while other girls charm the young men with their wit and sarcasim. And some girls, dazzle with being...themselves. Natural and easy to talk to and be with. Not every girl can make a boy feel at ease and completely comfortable with who they are right in that moment. That my dear Megalicious, is a gift.

If I were a boy, I would date you. End of story.

Now, the dancing thing. It is always ridiculous to flirt and act during a dance. Its un-natural and it is fake because...NO ONE DOES THAT. I love to dance especially Salsa and Merengue. Its hard for me to be sexy and it seems awkward to try to be something I am not nor ever could be. I dance for me. I dance for fun because I enjoy it. Period.

I have found that it is more alluring to see that you are having fun. Instead of a sexy hand placement or a flirtatious nod towards the crowd like you said, do something that you do all the time when you are having a good time. Tilt your head back and laugh your pretty natural laugh when you make a mistake or when you feel like you did a particularly good job on a turn. Being silly is sexy because men are drawn to women who have an all around good time and look like they are independently enjoying themselves.

Most importantly, you're beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

You'll knock em' dead.

Lin said...

i couldn't have said it better. one of my favorite things about you is that you are natural - you don't hold back even when you are around guys - it's a very attractive quality because it is rare - not many people can be themselves in all situations. besides, everyone looks silly during those dances!