Monday, April 2, 2007

Conference Goodness

Okay, I realize that most of the spiritual insights and so forth are not really blog fare, but the more pedestrian aspects of the weekend are. So here we go.
  • Hands down best thing ever: "Hit me again, I can still hear you." - Elder Holland
  • "Nothing is so bad that whining about it will not make it worse." - Elder Holland
  • Elder Bednar's Parable of the Pickle
  • "The new benches are just as hard as the old ones." - President Hinckley
  • President Hinckley saying that he's in good health despite rumors to the contrary, and he might outlive some of us.
  • Whoever quoted the line "Man your ship manfully."
  • While watching afternoon session with Jonathan and Sebastian:
Jonathan: Whoa, what's homeboy reading there? (Someone behind President Faust appeared to be reading something while President Faust was speaking.)
Me: Isn't that President Monson?
Jonathan: Um, well, uh . . .
Me: Did you just call President Monson "homeboy?"
  • Sebastian Hoffman's comment during Saturday afternoon session pertaining to why none of us were taking many notes: "It's good and all, but I'm not thinking, 'Wow! I need to make changes in my life so I can be more like the Tabernacle!" (Yes, Jonathan, Sebastian and I probably should have been struck by lightning, but we were sitting on the CCCs - conference concussion couches - so we should be forgiven for making every effort to stay awake and alert.)
  • The text series between Jonathan and me on Saturday night, as follows:
Me: Jonathan, don't forget to man your ship manfully.
Jonathan: Indeed, how could I forget?!? Just work on being more like the tabernacle and I'll man the ship.
Me: Yes, but where will I get an aluminum hat?
Jonathan: That might be tricky. Just be grateful it's not copper anymore!
(We had a discussion earlier about whether or not the old roof was copper because I thought I remembered it being green when it needed to be cleaned. My parents say I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm not funny with what comes next.)
Me: But if it were at least my head would be arthritis free! (Or something like that. My grandma used to wear copper bracelets because it was supposed to ward off arthritis.)
Jonathan: Oh Megan. Wow. need I say more? . . . Wow.
  • All of Elder Perry's "We declare to the world"s
  • Two words: Yoshihiko Kikuchi
  • Elder Uchtdorf: "There is always a point of safe return."
  • Sister Parkin asking if there is anywhere in the world where women have more freedom, etc. I answer with a resounding no, not anywhere! I love it.
  • The cakes I decorated between sessions on Sunday - one Superman, one Batman.
  • Spence: Cooper, what are your ears like? Cooper: "Flappy" (or floppy, depending on how you hear it) proceeds to flap his ears with his fingers.
  • Elder Holland's superb use of parallel structure.
  • Priesthood session = ultimate ladies night. Yay for shopping and glorified salad bars that boys hate. :)
Conference weekend is amazing. I hope you all enjoyed it greatly.

5 comments:

Lin said...

fantastic text convo....i miss you guys. we should text more....

p.s. Kikuchi's name was one of my favorite things as well. also the bench and health comments. i love President Hinckley.

Clark Winegar said...

One highlight of conference weekend you forgot:

* Seeing my wannabe-filmmaker brother's latest effort.

This ultra-short film (as revealed the next day-which is today) would be chosen as one of the top 25 finalists in 101.9 The End's Really, Really, Really, Really short film contest.

Oh, and by the way, you're invited (along with any of your friends) to go to the Tower Theater (900 E. 900 S. SLC) this Wednesday at 7:00 and vote for my 61 second film so I can win $1000 and make more home movies that i will insist on calling "films."

Clark Winegar said...

I just remembered that you missed another conference highlight. Not forgot it, litererally missed it. The BYU mens choir at the priesthood session was amazing. I've never listened to conference and wished for a studio recording of one of the musical arrangements - until then. So good.

Megs said...

I have friends in Men's Chorus - I could probably hook you up with a copy of that last song because they did it at a couple of concerts this year.

Lili and Jeff said...

I love it. Sounds like you got much much more out of conference than required! Very good indeed. I have an aluminum hat if you want to barrow it.