Sunday, July 8, 2007

Songs About the Southland

In honor of my family's trip to Georgia and Alabama this week, I've been making a list of songs for us to listen to there. (I'm finding myself forced to branch out from songs about Alabama and Georgia - oh, well.) If you have any awesome suggestions, chime in quickly.

1. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. "Georgia On My Mind" - Ray Charles
3. "Bright Sunny South" - Alison Krauss + Union Station
4. "Why Georgia" - John Mayer
5. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" - Charlie Daniels Band
6. "Georgia" - Jackie Greene
7. "Stars Fell on Alabama" - Harry Connick Jr.
8. "Summertime" - Billie Holiday
9. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Paul McCartney
10. "Graceland" - Paul Simon
11. "Orange Blossom Special" - Johnny Cash
12. "Sodom, South Georgia" - Iron & Wine
13. "Southern Anthem" - Iron & Wine
14. "Pride (In the Name of Love)" - U2
15."Lonely Night in Georgia" - Marc Broussard
16. "Down South Jukin'" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

We leave Tuesday morning, so wish me a lack of heat stroke!

6 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

Reba McEntire - the night the lights went out in georgia

Lin said...

oooh...i like that one my sister suggested. although i thought vicki lawrence sang that song? have fun on your trip...i don't know how you couldn't enjoy yourself with such a great playlist.

Anonymous said...

I hear you're already down south of the Mason Dixon line so this is a little late, but here are some additions to and comments on the current list.

You're a little light on the jazz standards considering the South is its birthplace so you should add:

When It's Sleepytime Down South - (Words and music by Leon Rene, Otis Rene & Clarence Muse) I prefer Louis to Mel Torme.

Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans? - (Music - Louis Alter, Words - Eddie Lange - should probably use native son's Louis Armstrong's version, but Ray Charles will also do)

And there's no way this list could be complete without:

Stuck Outside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again - Bob Dylan

Comments:

Summertime was not written by Billie Holiday but by George Gershwin. The Billie Holiday song you should include on this list (she didn't write it either but she made it famous) because you need to capture that aspect of the South too is Strange Fruit. Not exactly a flattering picture, but the South ain't all "magnolias in June"

Finally, a technicality: Jackie Greene's song Georgia is not about the state or the South, but about a tattooed, hard-drinkin', spittin', cussin', pistol-packin', heartbreakin', bad, bad girl named Georgia (at least that's what she says). I guess we can still count it because the narrator says he met her in New Orleans.

Anonymous said...

How could you not include "Sweet Southern Comfort" by Buddy Jewell:

"When I dream about the southland,
This is where it all begins.

From Carolina down to Georgia,
Smell the jasmine and magnolia,
Sleepy Sweet home Alabama,
Roll tide roll,
Muddy water, Mississippi,
Blessed Graceland whispers to me,
Carry on, Carry on,
Sweet Southern Comfort carry on."

Amazing amazing song! That "roll tide roll" line gets me every time.

Lili and Jeff said...

There is this musical called "Parade" about Georgia shortly after the Civil War. It is about how crazy the south can be sometimes. Really, really sad musical, but lots of really fun songs! You should check it out.

Megs said...

I would just like to clarify that I did know that "Summertime" was written by Gershwin, but Billie Holiday's version is what ended up on my playlist. I also knew about Jackie Greene's song, but it was so awesome (see Trub's description) that I couldn't help but put it on. Thanks for the belated help, everyone. :)