
So tonight I went to the super rad Aquabats concert with Clark and Linda and became a member of the band. I learned the secret Aquabats high sign (demonstrated by the Commander in the picture to the left) and everything. Although tragically the band is much smaller than it was when I started listening to them some 10 years ago, they are still fantastic in their cheesy wisdom, and you have to give mad props to guys who still dress up like super heroes for every concert and picture. Favorite moments from the concert:
- Discovering that the upper level of In the Venue is glorious, but also that jumping up and down in the sweaty disgusting crowd is fun.
- The really nasty haircut on the lead singer of Love You Long Time
- Talking to Mandy between sets - she got her mission call!
- The following thoughts from MC Lars: "Get your Post-Modern groove on;" (I am SO not making that up - it was accompanied by pictures of post-modernists!), "Edgar Allan Poe was the original emo kid - he wore a lot of black, he wrote about love and death, and he didn't have a lot of friends;" "Hot Topic is not punk rock." ( I almost bought a t-shirt of that last one.)
- The girl who dressed up as the Martian Girl, and the fact that I identified her as such based on my knowledge of the Aquabats' lyrics.
- Fighting off the first villain (whose weapon was a towel with which he planned to put out our eyes - is rock and roll worth having a glass eye? YES!) with multicolored balls that were dumped on the crowd from the 'bove.
- The number of people in the crowd dressed as Aquabats. Now that I've become a member of the band, will I have to dress up for the next concert?
- Four words: Lovers of Loving Love.
- The song "Hot Summer Nights," which was dedicated to the lonely hearts in the crowd. Several people identified themselves as lonely hearts, and the Commander expressed surprise. I leaned over to Clark and said, "Yeah, that is a surprise that there are so many lonely hearts in this crowd."
- The title of this post, which was the intro to the last song, "Hi-Five City!" which is the new official name of Salt Lake. I hereby promise to high five everyone. Or squid them.
- Reliving my adolescence through jumping up and down to "Super Rad." All systems go! Soon the world will know the fury of attack, feel the wrath of the super rad! I'm just sayin'.
Next up: THE FRAY!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment