Friday, August 24, 2007

Everbody's Changing and I Don't Feel the Same . . .

I'm sitting in the middle of my mess of half-packed boxes and stacks of books and I'm feeling a bit at a loss. It's that funny time of year when I realize that everything is going to be different when I get back to school. I just read Krissie's post called "Different But the Same" (thank you, Ben Kweller) and I thought I would add some similar musings to the pot.
For the last couple of weeks everyone I know has been getting married. (Okay, not quite, but a LOT of them have been getting married.) Some of my favorite people are now going to be sharing food bills and credit cards, and that's weird. I'm happy for them, and I'm not even particularly jealous, but it's a funny thing whenever your relationship with someone changes in a permanent kind of way, which is what happens, isn't it? I mean, I'll probably never just call up Joel Crane because I need a blessing or a ride to the choir concert, and I'll never run upstairs to hug Landon Taylor (partially because she's now Landon Wheeler). Heidi Child will not be my visiting teacher, Elise Morrell won't be hosting movie night (at least not as Elise Morrell), and I don't even know if Sami will still be around to cut my hair. I know that I will still see many of them, but their lives and mine are now in completely different stages, and I know from experience that this changes things in a funny and not entirely pleasant (for me) way.
Today I changed my address on Route Y for the first time in three years (unless you count the time I moved from 158 to 154.) I'm very excited about my new roommates, but I'm sad too. I'll miss Lili's craziness and Mandy's calm, comforting advice, just as last year I missed Sam's matter-of-fact view of life and Whitney's good natured feminism. I'll miss the Glenwood - the hall club, being able to run to the other side of the building to see the boys, our mural, the quote wall, being able to put nails in the walls, and my green and blue room. I'll miss the 129th ward, even though I know that it's already much different - many of my good friends have already moved, and Bishop McGee was released when I moved out. Still I'll miss toaster strudel sessions and midnight movies with Jonathan, watching the Office in 178, movie night in 194, running to the boys of 193 for everything (thanks again for rescuing me from Mount Timp, guys), getting hugged by Geoff every day of my life, living next door to Carrie and hearing her listening to "Soul Meets Body" through the wall, waffle parties on minor holidays with Jayson and Chris (I think I'll miss the poetry most of all), and so many other things that it hasn't even occurred to me to miss yet.I haven't quite figured out how it will work now that all of the people who have been so important to me live more than two seconds away. How will we balance the time we spend with the old friends we love so much and the new friends we are bound to make? How will we manage without our big bedrooms? How will I ever get noticed by the boys with beautiful Krissie Ostlund as my new roommate? (I'm only sort of kidding.)
It's still weird trying to adjust to my relationship with Miri now that she has a serious boyfriend. (I hope you don't mind my saying this, Miri.) She doesn't need to confide in me as much because she has Mike, and it's strange that I am not really the other half of her most important M&M now. It's sad that I am already preparing to do a lot of the socializing and flirting without her, and I miss the way things were before even though I'm happy that she has found someone who makes her happy.
Most of all, I'm scared to death that I am only a few months away from graduation. I still don't know what I want to do or where I'll go when I finish, and the most terrifying thing about all of this musing is that next year I won't be going back to these people or places at all. It's a very lonely thought that I can't help thinking often. If it seems as though the relationships are in an uproar now, wait until I'm not even in a student ward. I shudder at the thought of attending a singles' ward, of applying for a real job with an insurance plan and a time card, of trying to figure out how I want to live in a college graduate sort of way.When I entered college three years ago, I never thought it would go so fast, or that I would be so afraid as it approached its end. It's strange to think about all of the things that have happened, of the people who have taught me so much and of the way I've changed. Through the timid days of my freshman year, the crazy fun of my sophomore year, the glorious independence of London and the catastrophic events of last year (tinged with many silver linings), I have been growing into myself. I now know new ways to deal with loneliness, heartbreak, and fear, but I know new ways to express myself, get over myself, and help other people through their fears and heartaches.
I hate the constant change that's going on, but for the most part I like the changes in myself, which I guess is part of the deal.

8 comments:

Lin said...

other than the things we've already talked about...here are two things:

A. getting your own insurance is like one of the coolest things ever. haha. that may make me nerdy, but speaking as someone who was without health insurance for over a year, it's liberating to know that i could fall down a well or even get a cold and things would be somewhat taken care of. i nice little health safety net, if you will. for me, it's the best part of working a full time job.

second, changes suck. they always have and they always will. we get comfortable...very comfortable. we are lulled into a false sense of security and we sit back and say "life could not be better than it is right at this moment". then BAM! we are hit by the semi-truck of life and everything we thought was the best (or worst) thing that ever happened to us suddenly becomes less significant. you are strong and amazing and i'm sure when that truck hits you next week or even next year you will be the one causing the damage.

of course i say all of this but still agree completely that changes suck, singles wards are scary and weird, and i could have been happy living last summer for a little while longer.

Janssen said...

Great post.

I loathe changes. I dreaded the ending of my freshman year from about the second week of school. It was especially hard for me at the end of sophomore year when one of my roommates got married and it felt like everything was changing forever. Ugh, just thinking about it gives me that unhappy, sick feeling.

Good luck! Everything will work out.

Krilafis said...

Change..its funny how that one word divides...everything. Happy and sad. Bitter and Sweet. Dark and light.

Its a word of mixed emotions isn't it. I would never ever trade the changes and bends my life has taken while simultaneously I wish that it hadn't felt so...well..crappy.

I am glad we are in the same mood. Moving in will be a little hum drum but it means, in selfishness, I feel equal to you in some way. Its nice to have equilibrium on some kind of plain when I start my first and you start you last College adventure. Look what God did for us.

The world is an exciting place Megs and you seem to take to it like a moth to flame. Adventures and you should be known like Hook and Peter Pan. What amazing stories you have to tell and memories you have to share. Graduating is exciting...ever looming...but oh so fab.

Speaking of change, the world is in for one of dramatic proportions and it starts with the Graduation of Meagan Winegar.

Oh! I. cannot. wait. Lets get this party started.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I hate to trivialize the sublimity of this post by suggesting another playlist, but you started it with the title. I'm sure if I were in a more literate mood, I would try to suggest a list of poetry around Virgil's famous theme: "Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus"

I'll start with three songs that seem to speak to this post:

"Changes" - David Bowie
"Blue" - The Jayhawks
"Still Fighting It" - Ben Folds

Lin said...

that is funny the song "changes" is the first on that list...i think i listened to that song everyday for about four months or so after i graduated. haha. totally made me feel better every time. also the keane song mentioned in your title...i believe i even centered a blog post around the same song. i thought of another one when i started this comment and now i can't remember it...oh well.

Lili and Jeff said...

Wow Megan, what a journey! You had some wonderful and interesting memories at the Glenhole, but I think you are in for some amazing times yet to come! I just moved into my apartment (no one else is here yet!! EEP!) and everything feels so different, but change is glorious at times, and think of the fond memories. I can't wait to come visit you loverly ladies at your new apartment! Let us please always speak often, and remember, my dear brother comes home in no more than 6 months!!! That will definitely be some kind of reunion!

leoele said...

You know, I'd like to post a deep, thoughtful comment, but nothing really comes to mind.

Sorry.

Geoff said...

Poignant; very human.
When I read the post, the picture of Wilfred Owen was right there next to the end of the first half. I thought his WWI poetry had a similar feel. Really, it was just a convenient coincidence.