"Bruised" - The Bens
"Sore Thumb" - The Format
"Hate (I Really Don't Like You)" - Plain White T's
"Cheers, Darlin'" - Damien Rice
"End of May" - The Actual Tigers
"New American Classic" - Taking Back Sunday
"Grace is Gone" - Dave Matthews Band
"Nothing Better" - The Postal Service
"Heaven Forbid" - The Fray
"Put it Behind You" - Keane
"Pink Triangle" - Weezer :)
"From My Own True Love (Lost At Sea)" - The Decemberists
"Breaking My Heart" - Aqualung
"Another Lonely Day" - Ben Harper
"New Slang" - The Shins
"Cocoon" - Jack Johnson
"Split Screen Sadness" - John Mayer
"We're Just Friends" - Wilco
"Flushed from the Bathroom of Your Heart" - Johnny Cash
"Woke Up New" - The Mountain Goats
"Sad Songs and Waltzes" - Cake
"Cage" - Travis
"Hear You Me" - Jimmy Eat World
"Last Goodbye" - Jeff Buckley
"Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House
"Now It's Done" - Straylight Run
"Hannah Hold On" - The Get Up Kids
"Trying to Pull Myself Away" - Glen Hansard
Additionally, if you've been reading my comments you know my brother Trub has some serious opinions on Lonely Hearts songs, being the original lonely heart himself. So without further ado, I submit the Trub preliminary list. I figure that's okay, because mine was VERY preliminary; Trub's was categorized when I got it, but he told me to take them out because it was going to get too confusing. I just thought you should know how seriously he took this project.
"Black Coffee in Bed" - Squeeze
“Alone” – Blues Traveler
*“I Didn’t Understand” – Elliot Smith
“Lonely Holiday” – Old 97s
“Tired of Being Alone” – Al Green
“One” – Three Dog Night (Aimee Mann does a nice cover on the Magnolia soundtrack)
“I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” – Hank Williams (a hundred covers, I’m rather fond of both Cowboy Junkies’ and Cassandra Wilson’s)
“Unlovable” – The Smiths
“Lush Life” – Billy Strayhorn (maybe the saddest, loneliest song ever)
“Wander This World” – Johnny Lang
“I Do” – Jude
“What a Shame About Me” – Steely Dan
“So Lonely” – The Police
“Another Saturday Night” – Cat Stevens
“Thinking About You” - Radiohead
*“Song for the Dumped” – Ben Folds
“Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright” – Bob Dylan
“I Hope You’re Happy Now” – Elvis Costello
“Idiot Wind” – Bob Dylan
“Black” – Pearl Jam
“History Never Repeats” – Split Enz (Eddie Vedder covers this one)
“Reason Why” – Rachael Yamagata (maybe the best breakup song of modern times, whatever else you may think of her)
“Smoke” – Ben Folds
“Good Year for the Roses” – Elvis Costello
“Lose You” – Pete Yorn
“Love in Vain” – Robert Johnson
“The Sun Also Sets” – Ryan Adams
“I’ll Sail This Ship Alone” – The Beautiful South (very cheesy, but hey)
“Two Hearts” – The Jayhawks”
“I Walk Away” – Crowded House
“That’s What I Call Love” – Crowded House
“I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor (*Cake cover is great)
“No Woman No Cry” – Bob Marley
*Trub warned me that a couple of these songs had some non-PG language, so the starred songs are his warning to use discretion.
Happy moping!
4 comments:
grace is gone is one of my all time favorite songs. i heard it first on an interview/live taping with Dave Matthews (which is one of the funniest things i've ever listened to...i have it on tape somewhere). he played grace is gone before it was released and i thought "this is the best song ever" and i listened to it constantly.
this is a great playlist. i'm definitely stealing music from you when i visit. :)
What is the true spirit of this list? I'm not sure how you're defining lonely hearts club. Does it count if you recently broke up with someone and now you're lonely? Don't Dream It's Over doesn't strike me as a lonely hearts club song. That's What I Call Love (by Paul Hester - R.I.P) seems like a better one. If we can count breakup/lonely heart songs, then I have a great list going. Maybe you could include my list as a guest blog.
You're probably right about "Don't Dream It's Over," but I like it, so it's staying. :) "There's a wall between us?" C'mon. But definitely give me a list and I'll post it.
The problem with this project is that it is potentially infinite. As Rob Gordon asks in the film adaptation of Nick Hornby's brilliant novel, High Fidelity: "What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
Post a Comment