- "Everybody's Changing" - Keane
- "Different But the Same" - Ben Kweller
- "Blue" - The Jayhawks (Seriously one of my favorite songs EVER. Don't let the slightly hicka-shicka sound fool you - it is a truly fabulous little folky tune. "Where have all my friends gone? They've all disappeared - Turned around maybe one day, you were all that was there...stood by on believing, stood by on my own. I always thought I was someone - turns out I was wrong.")
- "Still Fighting It" - Ben Folds Five ("Everybody knows it hurts to grow up - and everybody does. So weird to be back here." By the way, YOU try to figure out how to punctuate song lyrics.)
- "Changes" - David Bowie
- "Debate Exposes Doubt" - Death Cab for Cutie ("Finally there is clarity and there is purpose after all - this tiny life is making sense.")
- "See the Changes" - Crosby, Stills and Nash (A gem that I found in my library by typing the word "changes" into the search bar - absolutely perfect. "It ain't easy rearranging, it gets harder as you get older, farther away as you get closer.")
- "Suddenly Everything Has Changed" - The Flaming Lips (or it might be by the Postal Service - not sure after a little internet research. "Putting all the vegetables away that you bought at the grocery store today and it goes fast - you think of the past. Suddenly everything has changed." "Do You Realize??" by the Flaming Lips also goes along with this very well, but I don't like to have more than one song by a single artist on my playlists - yeah I'm weird. But I guess if you put the PS version on you could also but "Do You Realize??" on without qualms. Huh. Anyway - "You realize that time goes fast, it's hard to make the good things last. You realize the sun doesn't go down - it's just an illusion caused by the world spinnin' round.")
- "Why Do They Leave?" - Ryan Adams
- "New Slang" - The Shins ("Never should have called, but my head's to the wall and I'm lonely." Thank you, Sydney, for turning me on to that incredible line. Also, "I'm looking in on a good life I might be doomed never to find." By the way, if you have never read the words to a song by The Shins, you are missing out on some serious metaphorical goodness. No joke.)
- "We Never Change" - Coldplay (I forgot about this song completely. Serves me right for dismissing Parachutes because I wasn't a huge fan of it in high school. It's actually quite fabulous.)
- "Pleasure and Pain" - Ben Harper ("I'm leaving by the morning train, and I will never see this world again. Oh I felt pleasure and I felt pain, and I can never be the same.")
- "1 2 3 4" - Feist ("Oh teenage hopes are lying at your door - left you with nothing, but they want some more. You're changing your heart - you know who you are.")
- "Hold the Line" - Pilot Speed ('There's light on your face and hope on the breeze, no one whispering to the trees. There's money to burn and books to read - why do people leave?
- "Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell ("But now old friends are acting strange, they shake their heads, they say I've changed. Well, something's lost but something's gained in living every day.")
- "How?" - Badly Drawn Boy (A bit of a stretch, but I've always felt like it worked if you ignore the love song part of it - "What if there is nothing left for us after all this?")
- "Winds of Change" - Fleetwood Mac (I've never actually heard this song - Treb thought of it and the lyrics seemed to work.)
- "Hurricane" - Mindy Smith ("I need a hurricane to empty out this place - could be the only way to salvage any chance I have left to move on.")
- "Map of the Problematique" - Muse (another stretch of sorts, but I think it works, although it's more of a loneliness song than a changing song. Loneliness and change sometimes go hand in hand.)
- "Are You On My Side?" - Rogue Wave (Just trust me.)
- "Vienna" - The Fray
I'm trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes, in all the things I wish I wrote. - The Format
Friday, August 24, 2007
Fine.
So my brother's comment on the last post is forcing me to post a related playlist. I tried to do one thing in my life without making a soundtrack, but I guess it isn't to be. Hey, if you're going to be sappy and introspective, it may as well be to music, right? Here's what I came up with (partially annotated so it will actually mean something):
Labels:
change,
graduation,
playlists
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i don't know what else to say but that i kinda want to cry. :(
Post a Comment