No, I'm not finished with the Top 5 post yet, but I had an inspiration about my car's name. (I didn't even write about my car yet because of that post! I'll take a picture and write about it later.) I wish I had a picture right now to post so you could get the full effect, but you'll just have to imagine.Clark pointed out that I can't name my car Gertrude because he named his snowboard that. I knew it sounded familiar, and not just because it was Hamlet's mother. I'm not really loving Beatrice or Ingrid for some reason, and I just can't quite love Wanda even though yelling "To Wanda!" would be fun, and Dulcinea seems presumptuous, which only works when your car is ugly. And it's definitely a girl car, so I can rule out Guildenstern and Claudius and Lennie. But I just had a really good idea.
I just saw A Streetcar Named Desire. You may know where I'm going with this already if you've seen it. What's the most famous line? "STELLA! HEY STELLA!" And just now I realized that my car is a Stella! And it's pretty perfect, because Stella also means "star" (was it Philip Sydney I learned that from? Astrophil and Stella? I think so.) and my car is currently shiny and silver and star like. Plus, I will never name a child Stella, and when I can't find my car I can yell, "STELLA! HEY STELLA!" And then I'll think of Marlon Brando, which will be pleasant. And it's still a literary reference - a good one - which is one of the things I kind of wanted.
I'm asking y'all what you think, but I'm not sure it matters. I think I'm pretty sold.
8 comments:
Thank you, Megan!
When I was about 14, I was listening to the radio and heard a clip from some play/movie. I didn't catch the name of the work, but I've remembered the clip my whole life: it was a man shouting, "Stella!" I've asked several people where it came from but they haven't known. And I sometimes (in the absence of people) shout "Stella" up at windows when I'm walking home at night. Now I know where it comes from...
Yes, name your car Stella!
It is a good thing I didn't stop reading your post after you said, "I just saw A Street Car Named Desire" because I assumed you would name the car Desire.
Just goes to show that the ye olde saying don't quit while your ahead is very very true. Because...I thought I was ahead. Stella not Desire.
STELLA! should be your car name as long as it is always written in all caps with an exclamation point. that's my only stipulation. other than that, fine name, well done.
Stella also rhymes with Della - your paternal grandmother's name.
Not sure what that has to do with anything, but thought I should point it out in case you are ever writing a poem that includes them both.
Also, I suggest the following line for the next date you go on where you are driving: "Hey fella, why don't you hop in the passenger seat of Stella?" When he looks confused, say "What's the matta? Are ya yella?" Many possibilities with this name.
I like it. Can you believe I've never seen that movie? Anyway, good choice of name. My car is named Rameses (it's a long story).
i still like wendy, but i have to admit, stella is perfect. good call. are you having a christening or anything?
Megan, you should take a look at the last comment on this post.
I like Stella a lot. Car names are really hard to think of, but when you get the right one, it is like magic. Just like ol' Sergeant Charlie, and my mini van, Marty Senior. Stella is very good.
Post a Comment