Tuesday, July 8, 2008

There's A Light

Today we went to King's College at Cambridge, and I know that I'll be posting about that on my other blog, so if you want details, just wait.
In the meantime, thoughts.
I always think it's so interesting to go to other churches, especially church services. And I always seem to hear certain responses, ones which I'm sure I've said before. (For the record, I didn't hear much of it today, so no worries.) It seems that people love talking about how dark cathedrals are, how you "can't feel the spirit" when you walk in them, etc. They talk about how impersonal the service is, how useless it must be to do things by rote. (I think I'm exaggerating to a certain extent, but you understand the general idea.)
I have to disagree. I love cathedrals. I walk into a cathedral and I don't see darkness (which may have something to do with a civ class I took a few years back - we watched a video). I see something that is a architectural wonder, but which is also a very real manifestation of the devotion of a group of people who sincerely loved their God. They believed that they were doing something that would direct people's thoughts to God, didn't they? And they didn't make those big stone walls so that people could worship in darkness; they made high ceilings and huge windows that were places of light. (I'm sure that there are all kinds of documents about subjugation of peasants and crap like that, but I also think there was acertain measure of devotion in the equation. There would have to be to build a place like the King's College cathedral (chapel?).
Point the second: Evensong is a beautiful thing. One minute you are sitting there looking at stone walls and colored windows filtering in cold evening light, and the next the entire space is filled with the warmth of the most pure, sweet sound - the sounds of masses and vespers that have been written to the glory of God for hundreds of years and still sound fresh and new and sincere.
Their manner of worship may be unfamiliar to us, but I felt the spirit through their songs of praise.

6 comments:

Lin said...

one of my favorite places in England was the chapel near Jane Austen's cottage (the one wear her mother and sister are buried) because I felt the spirit so much. it was small ish and humble and beautiful.

having studied many of these cathedrals, it's safe to say they aren't all built that tall because of God so much as architects were trying to improve upon and beat previous designs - but they were very concerned with light and it's an amazing thing to stand in those buildings and feel the spirit with the light just pouring in the windows. everything is placed so precisely and was so thought out so as to maximize space, height and light and i think the knowledge and dedication it took had to be inspired. they are amazing examples of what can come with the use of our God-given talents and hard work in connection with faith.

Awesome.

Makayla Steiner said...

Amen, sister.

I hate that in our church people get so snotty about other churches and religious traditions. I really believe that most people are GOOD people, that a religious person probably has good motives and is serving God in the best way they know how, based on what they've been given. Just like us.

What's more, I think our services could learn a little bit from theirs as well. The baptists could teach us how to sing, for example.

We really are all in this together, and dissing beautiful, elegant, cathedrals that were built to the Glory of the same God we worship, is not the way to go about being Christian.

Katherine said...

Some of my most spiritual moments have been in these "dark," "impersonal" places. Chartres Cathedral in particular comes to mind.

Jennie said...

I loved this post! I completely agree, although I have only been in one Cathedral and have never been to Europe, I believe there is beauty and love in any place where God is worshipped and good is saught out. I recently went to Washington DC and had one of the most spiritual experiences of my life in the Momorial room at the Holocaust museum. The room was huge circle with scriptures from the old testament high on the walls. The walls were full of votive candles like in a Catholic Church. Above these candles were the names of the different concentration camps. In the middle of the room was a flame above a black metal box that contained soil from the concentration camps and battle grounds from Germany. I think the symbolism of candles in churches is absolutely beautiful, and agree completely that we have a lot to learn from the way other people worship God. I completely agree that most people are GOOD people and that we can all learn from each other about being more devoted to an all merciful loving Father.

Miri said...

so last night at work one of the girls was singing primary songs as we closed, and she kept asking people which songs she should sing. i made it a point to escape without answering when she asked me. really? i don't know what primary songs you should sing at work. i have no answer for you.

p.s. i feel like a heathen for posting such an un-Christlike comment on your spiritual post. perhaps i shouldn't have just just chosen the most recent one...

Melissa said...

As I sit in the Temple I am overwhelmed at the spirit that is present there. I know that in each temple I go through I feel the same true strong spirit there is a beauty in the quite peace that resides there, However, I believe that same spirit resides within the walls of the beautiful Cathedrals. I have visited numerous cathedrals in seven different countries and have a tradition of lighing one of the prayer candles. I believe in the truth that is laced in each religeous sect and although the church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is the true church restored, I am thankful for the opportunity to feel the spirit in so many different places of worship and those who believe that there is no spirit that resides in these places really...well you said it perfectly Megan!