I've been thinking since quasi-graduation about what I want to do, and I thought I knew and felt good about getting a teaching job, but since I don't have one yet I've been thinking about it still, and I keep getting this funny feeling about it - probably fear, but it resembles dissatisfaction more than anything else.
Don't get me wrong - I loved student teaching, and I like the idea of teaching. But I keep going back and forth about whether or not I'm ready to teach full time now, and I really can't decide how I feel about it. I keep thinking about how much I love the work I'm doing here and wish I could do this kind of thing forever (not just be in London, but the kind of information giving and arrangement making stuff I'm doing here.)
I was talking about this the other day and mentioned that I had thought about getting a degree in library science at one point, and the girl I was talking to said she knew some people who had graduated with a Masters in that and loved their jobs. Admittedly I don't know enough about what this whole thing would entail to make a really educated judgment about it yet, but having been a source of information for a few weeks is making me think it would be fun to help people to find information . . . or whatever else library science people do. (I told you I'd thought this through a lot.)
Here's my thinking: I could get a teaching job and get a Masters of Education while I teach - the school district would probably even pay for it. But that doesn't leave me a whole lot of options, which is scary with respect to my current uneasiness (which may be silly or just fear of the new, but I can't shake it). Would it be better to have more options?
But then I started thinking about all that entails - applications, GRE, letters of recommendation, money issues . . . do I want to go through all of that? Will it be worth it? I'm wondering if I could do all of that during fall while I work somewhere, and then enter grad school during winter.
This is so crazy, and I'm talking like I'm doing it. I don't know nearly enough about it to be talking about it like this. But what if?
I don't even know how to start. I need to think about this. Is it just London fever getting to me or do I really want this?
4 comments:
um...sometimes we are so much alike it scares me. remember how i mentioned going back to grad school? uh, yeah. library science is one of my considerations. freak-e.
I have to say I could see you in that field. I actually work daily with the subject librarians who went through that masters program and they have some good things to say about it all. I think our department in the HBLL is actually looking for graduate instructors and if you were looking for something that makes you feel helpful in terms of helping kids find information, this is totally up your alley (and it's instruction--thus teaching). And heck, I'd just like to work with you. :)
yeah...wouldn't it be good if the school district would pay for a masters degree? Then I wouldn't be paying for a masters in administrative education and a masters in Curriculum and technological development...somehow adam needs two at the same time. Go for your masters but don't count on the school paying for it. Ps. In utah with three masters degrees and three years of teaching you get paid 37 k a year, in nevada you get paid 58k with the same criteria...lame. guess I'm not moving back to utah.
First, libraries are awesome. Second, the district will probably not pay for as much of your degree as you might hope (my mother is currently working on hers and still has to pay some tuition even though she's taking only one class a semester). Third, now is a great time to try random things; leave your options open! :)
Post a Comment