I woke up to streamers around my door and a mirror full of reasons why I'm amazing and "heaven help us, she's legal." My mom came down in the morning so that we could go to lunch together. She brought me 21 red roses, which were gorgeous and caused a good deal of curiosity among my friends. We went to the Olive Garden and played at the mall for awhile, and I definitely didn't go to class (lest you judge, I missed Social Dance and Women's Chorus. Wouldn't you?) She brought me a Little Debbie cake and stuck a candle in it so she could sing to me properly, which was fantastic.
When Mom left I played the guitar for awhile and talked to my brother Treb (I haven't talked to him in a couple of months, so it was quite a treat) and then the roommates and I headed out to The Bombay House for dinner. Indian food is fantastic. My roommates spoiled me rotten - Jennie gave me a Shakespeare notebook/journal (the quintessential Megan present - perfect) and Lili gave me a fuzzy jacket and a frame for the picture she is still working on for me (see previous post). Mandy gave me a hardback copy of Twilight with a pretty Thoreau bookmark inside. Miri gave me the egg and muffin toaster, and if you don't know what that is, watch for future posts, because I'm pretty sure there will be one about it someday. A-mazing.
We had just enough time to grab some food for our guests and get back in time for the party (we didn't have to make Simon open the door this time while we waited for the check) with 5 minutes to spare for vacuuming. The girls next door had decorated our apartment with balloons and streamers and a big poster signed by some of my friends and with markers hanging beside it so other people could sign it.
Michael Lundwall (who is not dead, surprisingly enough) was the first to arrive, and he brought a vinyl sign for me - my name in big pink letters. Brad Riching brought a fantastic apple pie and apple beer (you've got to have the appearance at least, right?) and Lili's mom sent some good cookie/brownie things. Mmm.
My friends are funny, I've decided. In addition to the hilarity of the Edward action figure, my friend Katherine brought me a book called You Can Conquer Rejection with some of the more profound passages marked (which was one of the hits of the party) and a page-a-day calendar called "Where Are They Buried and How Did They Die" that made a lot of people a little nervous about her. When we were in England together I bought a booklet called Where Are They Buried? from Westminster Abbey because I wanted to know who was actually there and who just had a memorial, so it was just too funny for her to pass up the calendar. Jonathan and Shalise brought bagels and cheese to go with the egg and muffin toaster (I'll be trying that out Saturday at the lastest, although I have a break between classes today, so it might be lunch), and Curt brought a card addressed to "Miss America" (long story). Andrew brought me his best guitar pick (his only guitar pick) because he was my first guitar teacher. Aw. On more serious notes, Todd gave me October Sky (which, based on my high school friends, may as well be the story of my life) and my roommate Seungah gave me some cute bookmarks and a really sweet card. I also got a whole lot of hugs, which was fantastic, and I really appreciated all of the people who showed up. I feel very blessed to have such amazing friends.
I heard from all of my brothers on the phone (Spence called late while I was watching "The Office" - apt. 194's gift to me since I missed it whilst dining and buying treats - and Ty texted me first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Clark called to play the Beatles' "Birthday," which has been a tradition for at least as long as he's lived away from home, and I talked to Treb for close to an hour while he was driving from work to his haircut appointment.)
So thank you to everyone who conspired to give me such a fabulous day. (I hope I didn't forget anything amazing - everyone who showed up = amazing, as do those who called or e-mailed even though they couldn't.) I felt very loved.
4 comments:
Oh dear. Now all your friends think I'm morbid.
skipping social dance? i dont know about that...
Hurrah for megan being legal! I am so proud of you, especially since you now OWN Edward. Also, you can see my new blog address at here:
http://lililou11.blogspot.com/
Hey, what was that show you saw in London that only played for a short while and then was TOTALLY sold out. You got the whole script for like 2 pounds, I think? Let me know!
Post a Comment