Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pressin' On, Move Along, other awesome applicable song titles . . .

The time has finally come. I'm officially leaving the Glenwood next year, and I know where I'm going. Jennie, Miri, and I are signing contracts to live at the Belmont (the crappy old one, not the expensive pretty one) on Wednesday.
The Glenhood is the only place I've ever lived in Provo, and I'm having a bit of an identity crisis, but it is definitely time to move on. I've been really happy here, and there are a lot of people and things that I have loved here. To comfort myself, I thought I'd post a list of Adventures in Maintenance, Etc. For those of you who lived through it with me, feel free to add on in the comment section.
  • At the end of my freshman year, Glenwood decided to start remodeling the outside before the end of the school year, so we got to listening to hammering and prying and stomping all day. One day there was a hole in our closet - we could actually see sky. When my roommate Melanie asked the workers about it, one of them said, "Oh, don't worry. We won't make you pay for that." Blink, blink. They brought in a shop vac to clean up the mess but then decided to leave it until they were done since there was just going to be more dirt.
  • While they were putting new tile in the bathrooms, the Glenwood decided to stick our toilets in our bathtubs. Is this awesome? Y/N
  • During the great Ceiling Remodeling Incident, our ceiling started leaking. It was just after midnight the night before my 7am Econ 110 test, and Melanie came in with a flashlight. I tried not to say anything because I knew I'd talk to her all night and I really needed sleep. When she climbed up on a chair I got too curious, so I asked her what was going on. She was putting a bowl under the drip. Great. After we talked for about an hour, I started counting seconds between drips to fall asleep (30 seconds) and I heard another sound. It was faster and not falling into a bowl. I started feeling around on the floor until I found the wet spot, and when I climbed up on the chair to find the spot, the ceiling crumbled and started streaming. I woke up my roommate and pushed her stuff out of the way, and we called emergency maintenance. The emergency man lived 25 miles away, so half an hour later we had a man in our room who poked a pen into the hole. We slept in the living room, and I got 2 hours of sleep before my monster final.
  • The next day we were in the living room listening to the pounding on the ceiling and wishing we could take a nap when my roommate Candice came running out into the living room. Star and Cara's room was flooding. Water was pouring from the light fixtures, getting all over all of their belongings, which were strewn all over their floor while they packed to move home. We started an assembly line to clear out their stuff, and then we started packing up. We were out. They needed to give us somewhere else to go. When someone yelled at me to come and get my computer out of the living room because it was ALSO flooding, it was a bit too much. We moved to an apartment on the boys' side.
  • The morning after we moved into the boy apartment, I went to take a shower and the toilet clogged.
  • A week after I moved out, the apartment beneath us also flooded (it's the apartment I live in now.)
  • When we came back in the fall, the Hood had repaired the ceiling, and it looked like a patchwork quilt. Beautiful.
  • Our bathroom flooded from the pipe above us last year - the light fixture filled with water.
  • The girls down the hall had their garbage disposal FALL OFF. They took some awesome pictures while it was dead (i.e. sticking their hands up through while holding a knife.)
  • During a party in the lodge, the floor fell through. Really.
  • Our bathtub was clogged for about 2 months. Boy, did I ever love waiting 20 minutes for the water to drain, and then waiting another 5 while I waited for the water I used to rinse out the hair to drain.
  • One day Miri's sister grabbed the fan chain to turn it off, and the chain came off in her hand . . . with the fan in the on position. We couldn't be in the living room with the light on for about a month because it was too cold.
  • When they built the ducts for the central air, they decided to put it into the smallest room where it would obstruct the top shelf of my closet. I love it. A lot.
  • When they put in the central air they told us we couldn't put anything in our pantry anymore because the central air goods were in there. Um . . . why?
  • When we asked for new couches upstairs, they brought us these amazing ones that the BUILT THEMSELVES. Out of WOOD. I almost fell asleep during General Conference, but I was afraid I was going to get a concusion, so I did a few laps around the room to make sure I stayed awake.
  • One word: MICE. Not mouse . . . MICE. Mousen.
Man. I sure will miss this place.

4 comments:

Lin said...

um...the floor of the lodge fell through!?! details?

Miri said...

every time i see lindsey post something i think it says lili, and then i want to say what are you talking about, you know perfectly well the floor of the lodge fell through, because you and jeff came and told us and you thought it was hilarious!
but it's lindsey so it's ok.

Miri said...

i would also like to contribute the story that i told you last night:
so my sophomore year-- the Year of the Remodeling and Subsequent Floods-- when they were pulling those weird awning things off the sides of the buildings, and they decided that the best way to do it would be to attach ropes to the bottom and start banging them up and down on the sides of the building until they fell off, i was reading in the living room when i was startled by really loud pounding noises, the entire apartment shaking, and my roommate jenny coming out of her room screaming that all her shelves were falling off the walls. genius, that idea was. pure genius. and also we experienced the sky-through-the-ceiling too. i stuck a pencil through one of the holes just to see if it went all the way through. it did.

Miri said...

also, i can't remember- did you write about the time that we came home to find all our kitchen appliances in the living room because they were changing the floor? and then they left it there until the next night? as though no one would be inconvenienced by having to climb around the refrigerator, behind the stove, and under the kitchen table to find the microwave... right next to the tv.