Friday, March 2, 2007

Book Mania

Got this from Katherine and Janssen - why not?

In the list of books below, bold the ones you’ve read, italicize the ones you want to read, put a # in front of the ones you won’t touch with a ten-foot pole, put a cross (+) in front of the ones on your book shelf, and asterisk (*) the ones you’ve never heard of.
1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) - not sure why, but someday I'll find out what the hype was all about.
+2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
+3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) I hated the movie, but Sam says the book makes everything better. We'll see. Eventually.
+5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (J.R.R. Tolkien)
+6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien)
+7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (J.R.R. Tolkien)
+8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
*9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
*10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
+11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) -I'll probably read this before Da Vinci Code - I've heard it's better.
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)

14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)- I got about 6 chapters into this one in high school. I'd like to try again.
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
+16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (J.K. Rowling)
*17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
*18. The Stand (Stephen King)
+19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)
+20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)- favorite book ever.
+21. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)-also a favorite. I think I've read it 4 times.
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)-I'll be reading this one soon for Adolescent Lit
+23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
+24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
+26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
+27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
+28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
*31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
#32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (George Orwell)
*35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
*36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)-I saw the movie in AP World History- fabulous.
*38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant) - we used to talk about this a lot during my freshman year. We wanted to turn our apartment into the red apartment. It was all on hearsay though - I'll have to read it to see if that was a good thing or not.
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
*41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
*42.The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) Katherine said it was good, so I guess I'll be adding it to the list.
*43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
+45. Bible
+46. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
+47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)-not sure about whether or not I'll read this.
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
*50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
+52. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
+53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
+54. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Scott Fitzgerald)
*56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
+57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
*58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
*59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
*60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
+61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) -made it halfway through and started reading Spindle's End instead
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)-I sort of want to read this, but my brother said it was pretty dark, so I'll probably skip it.
*65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davies)
*66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) - again, made it halfway through, got distracted.
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
#71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Helen Fielding)-probably not.
*72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)-don't know anything about this except it was a movie.
+75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
*76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
*78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
*79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
+80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
*81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck)
+83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
+85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
+87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
*88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
*89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)-love his short stories. I could try this one.
*91. In the Skin of a Lion (Michael Ondaatje)
+92. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)-another I'll be reading soon for Adolescent Lit.
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
+94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) - best book of 8th grade
*97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
*98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
*99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

1 comment:

Clark Winegar said...

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
#4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
+5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (J.R.R. Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien)
+7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (J.R.R. Tolkien)

#8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
*9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
*10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
+11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
+13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (J.K. Rowling)

*14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
#15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) I saw the movie and have no interest.
+16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (J.K. Rowling)
*17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
+19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J.K. Rowling)

+20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
+21. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
#23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
*24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
*25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
+26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)

*30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
#32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) - Amazing first half, one of the worst second halfs I've ever read... and in this case, the secong half was 600 pages :(
34. 1984 (George Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
*38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
*39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
*41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
*42.The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
*43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
+45. Bible
46. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) Too bad the movie of this couldn't have been done better. It started out with a lot of promise.
*48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck) Hated it.
*50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
*51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens) Also hated it
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card) One of my all time favorites.
54. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens) Thought I'd give ol' Dickens one more chance since he was supposed to be so great. Still didn't like it. Guess I'm just not intellectual enough.
55. The Great Gatsby (Scott Fitzgerald)
*56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
+57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (J.K. Rowling)
*58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
*59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
*60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) Loved it.
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) I've had several people tell me this one is much better than Atlas Shrugged, so I might give it a chance, but first I'll have to forgive Ms. Rand for wasting a lot of my life with the second half of Atlas.
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) I don't know which brother told you that, but I second the motion. I don't think you'd like it.
*65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davies)
*66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
#67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares) - I watched the movie w/ Linda. That was plenty.
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
+70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) I'm pretty proud of myself, cause I acutally read this one in French and understood nearly everything.
#71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Helen Fielding)
*72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
*73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)-don't know anything about this except it was a movie.
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
*76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
*77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
*78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
*79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
*81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck)
*83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
+84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)I probably won't read the rest in this series.
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
*88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
*89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
*91. In the Skin of a Lion (Michael Ondaatje)
+92. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)

+94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
#97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
*98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

Wow, this made me realize how little I read now a days (aside from business books which I read lots of), and how few of the books I've read I actually kept.