Saturday, March 3, 2007

Please Forgive Me


Please forgive me if I act a little strange,
For I know not what I do.
Feels like lightning running through my veins
Every time I look at you . . .
-David Gray (also on the Twilight playlist)

Stephenie Meyer should be paying me to advertise her books. I've recommended Twilight to half of the girls in my ward (and a few boys), the girls who sit next to me in Women's Chorus (who were victimized because I was going crazy while I was in the middle of the book and had to be in class instead of reading), several of the girls in my adolescent lit class, and some of my roommates' moms. However, I'm not going to write to Stephenie Meyer asking for a commission, because last night I discovered a reason for my great satisfaction when a girl tells me she is reading the book.
It drives the guys crazy.
Now, I'm not saying I'm bitter, but I have been in the past, and I think this is a much more constructive form of retaliation than sitting around eating ice cream and wishing I was on a date. I'm just raising the bar.
This is my gift to the women of the ward who have been rejected or are dissatisfied - they find comfort in the perfect love story. And my gift to the boys of the ward . . . who now have to compete with Edward.
I'm pretty sure I sound like a lunatic and a cat-woman in the making right now, but you girls who have read it know what I'm talking about. Also, I've extended the invitation to the boys, and two have read it so far. I don't see how this could hurt them, and it definitely helps us. :)
So girls, this is for you. Enjoy, obsess, read all of the supplements, dream, listen to the playlist, read the entire book in one sitting and then reread it.
And boys, this is for you. Good luck. (Snicker.)

1 comment:

Lin said...

so....i was thinking...i miss edward. ho hum. why must he be an oh so very attractive, blood-thirsty, fictional vampire?