I have a habit of jotting down things that my professors say that make me laugh, and I thought I'd share the following related comments from two different classes.First, from my Contemporary American Lit class, my New Zealand-born professor's commentary on the film adaptation of All the Pretty Horses:
"Oh, so you watched Matt Damon running around on a horse, did you? He looks quite good on a horse. I'd watch him on a horse again."
Thank you Dr. Cronin. Never mind the merits of the movie. As long as Matt Damon is a good looking John Grady Cole, I am so there.
Next, from Dr. Lundquist in my Literature and Film class, where we are discussing the romance or non-romance of Pride and Prejudice and watching several film adaptations:"Okay, now we're going to watch this bit from the A&E version, and then we're going to see as much as we can of episode four. Episode four is my favorite . . . it's the plunging in the pond one. All the women know what I mean." (She said this quite dramatically in a very swoony voice.)
So I feel pretty good about being the way I am about certain movies, books, etc. If my 60-year old professors can stand in front of mixed classrooms with their doctorates and still say things like that in the middle of intellectual conversations about the writing style or filming techniques . . . well, all I can say is mmmmm....
3 comments:
I'm in the middle of Volume 3 of Pride and Prejudice and all I want to do is read!! They are currently waiting to find out what is going on with Lydia and Wickham and, although I kind of sort of know what happens, I am excited to experience it myself for the first time. i just wish i was in utah so i could watch that A&E version with you and miri!!
oh wow megan...i think that thoes are two reasons that i am an engineering major
no no, silly todd. the reason that todd is an engineering major is that he would have had to buy a whole new wardrobe if he'd chosen a different path of education.
also, i'm pretty excited that your professors are as loony as we are. kinda lessens the feeling that i am inescapably cheesy, and instead allows me to smile and accept that this is just how we are. :)
Post a Comment