Read, naturally. Today I finished up my crazy spring semester - note to everyone: do NOT take two hard core English classes and a grammar class during spring semester unless you want to spend your entire existence with a book in your hand. So now I'm making plans for my summer reading. Of course. The other day I was bored in my grammar class, so I started making a list, which I am now going to post. Feel free to make recommendations, but the list is already impossible. I'm excited.
MEGAN'S SUMMER READING LIST (impossible version)
* indicates must-reads
UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
Jude the Obscure* (Thomas Hardy)
Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse* (Louise Erdrich)
Jacob's Room (Virginia Woolf)
Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
MINDLESS FROTH:
Austenland*(Shannon Hale)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows* (J.K. Rowling)
Eclipse* (Stephenie Meyer)
River Secrets (Shannon Hale)
Dreamland (Sarah Dessen)
A Great and Terrible Beauty (Libba Bray)
Shackleton's Stowaway (Victoria McKennan)
A Northern Light (Donnelly)
the Georgia Nicholson books I haven't read yet (Louise Rennison)
POSTMODERN:
Reading Lolita in Tehran* (Azar Nafisi)
The Crossing* (Cormac McCarthy)
Cities of the Plain* (Cormac McCarthy)
Tracks (Louise Erdrich)
The Shipping News (Thanks Jolly and Lindsey)
CLASSIC(ISH): (The biggest section... probably the one I'll read least from. Sad.)
All Quiet on the Western Front
Middlemarch (George Elliot)
The Moon is Down (John Steinbeck)
East of Eden*(John Steinbeck)
Tender is the Night (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison)
Testament of Youth (Vera Brittain)
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom (T.E. Lawrence)
Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
A Passage to India (E.M. Forster)
Where Angels Fear to Tread (E.M. Forster)
Their Eyes Were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston)
The Color Purple (Alice Walker)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Alex Haley)
Dracula* (Bram Stoker)
Madam Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)
MISC.:
Ophelia* (Lisa Klein)
Hamlet's Dresser (Bob Smith)
The Beauty Myth
Survival of the Prettiest
A Room of One's Own* (Virginia Woolf)
Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis)
In Search of Mockingbird
How I Found the Strong
Eats, Shoots and Leaves (Lynne Trusse)
Dandelion Wine* (must read during summer - Ray Bradbury)
Enchantment* (Orson Scott Card - recently added because I found out my book club was reading it and needed a light vacation book. :))
So yeah. Some of those have been on the list for years, and obviously there is no way I'll get through many of those, but I have to have them all written down for maximum efficiency. Good times. Yay summer!
7 comments:
One postmodern book I would recommend is The Shipping News by Annie Proulx (Interestingly, she is the same author who wrote "Brokeback Mountain", though, thankfully, this novel is nothing like it). You are welcome to borrow my copy if you would like, though it was old when I bought it and has since suffered through a traumatic case of water damage.
Wow, super impressive list. I'm excited to see what you end up getting through. Keep it updated!
i concur with the Shipping News recommendation. i read it for my american novel class (with cutchins at byu) and it's one of my favorites. i also think it is funny that your friends copy has water damage - well, more appropriate than funny, but still. also, you should add the iread application on facebook....i've been searching it all day to mark the books i've read - i bet you could beat my list in a milisecond.
Ummm, were we in the same class? I had Cutchins for American Novel and that's where i read it, too.
And I didn't even think how appropriate wtare damage is for the book. lol.
*water
we could have been in the same class....although i can't see your face and your name is john so it's kind of hard to narrow it down. haha. that was years ago now. winter 2005, i do believe. that was probably one of my most favorite classes. maybe i should have majored in english....
Megan, what a reader you are. Edward owes you his immortality for the amount of books you read (and recommend... wink wink.)
Miss you Megan! Please let us get together sometime! Plus HP soon!!! WHOOO! PS, HP comes out on the 11th now... Is the major problems? Or does it fix the problem of you missing the movie? Or make is worse? Lemme know! But you can do what ever you want! TA!
Post a Comment