
This will be quick, because I've already wasted too much time today, but it must be said.As an English major and now as a lover of postmodern theory, I LOVE Cormac McCarthy. I love his brooding cowboy characters, his stories that are hopeless without leaving you without hope, his apocalyptic red skies, his stark but living landscapes, and his wryly funny characters like Lacey Rawlins and John Grady Cole. I also love the mystery of Cormac McCarthy, because he has always been a recluse. He's given about two interviews to magazines, and he's never appeared on TV.
Until now, that is.
Cormac McCarthy's latest book, The Road was recently added to the Oprah book club list. We won't go into my grudging like/hate relationship with that organization, but we will go into wondering why Cormac McCarthy decided to make his television debut on the Oprah's show.
WHY? Of all the places to go, was that really the most appropriate? What are the audience members going to make of him? Of the book?
Needless to say, for perhaps the first time in my life, I am making plans to watch the show today, because curiosity won't allow me to stay away.
Oh, what a world, what a world!
Follow up: I watched it. Cormac McCarthy is awesome, Oprah less than. My friend Katherine made some excellent observations that you can see here and definitely should. I concur with her wholeheartedly, and she's funny.
1 comment:
Ha! So I'm pretty sure I have never watched an episode of Oprah in my life but this just solidified it. How she ever got Cormac McCarthy to appear on her show I'll never know.
By the way, did you ever see the movie they made of "All the Pretty Horses"? Not a terribly made movie, but they miss so many critical elements from the novel it's hard to even call it by the same name. Plus Matt Damon is not exactly how I picture John Grady Cole. Still, a movie that features Penelope Cruz (or Matt Damon for you) riding on a horse can't be all bad... ;)
Post a Comment