Monday, September 3, 2007

Did you wear a dress crafted from meat packing paper, as we discussed?

So here I am in the glorious land of Provo, with my closet organized and my roommates in place. Belmont is a very different place than the Glenwood, partially because it is very, very small. (Note the closet size in this picture - I am pretty sure I need to scrap half of my clothes, because this is ridiculous. The drawers are nice and big, though.) I must say I'm impressed with the person who designed the place - there is storage GALORE even though we don't always have room to turn around. The desks are beautiful, and there are all kinds of cupboards and closets and drawers everywhere I look. Now that everything has a place, I feel much better about things.
It was comforting yesterday that even though I was moving to a place where I'll only know my roommates, I have a strong base of friends right from the get-go. Before I left for Provo on Saturday morning, I got a text from Geoff telling me that he would be helping me unload and demanding that I tell him when I was coming. He was already here helping Jennie when I got here. On my way down I got another text from Todd saying that he would also come over if I needed help, but by the time I remembered to answer we were almost done and he was already here to bring all-sports passes. Marci was waiting at the door with her muscle, and Krissie and Jennie were there with hugs - all in all a good sign for the year.
We had to stop unpacking to get some food and go to the Arizona game. It was weird that my official goodbye to my parents for the year was in the Glenwood parking lot (they decided to continue parking there for games - it's just too good - and my friends were walking over from there). I never really got a chance to do the official cry fest thing because it didn't hit until then, and the parking lot didn't seem like the right place to cry. It's weird that this will be the last time that my parents will move me down to school, and I don't even know where I'll be going after graduation, but it won't be home unless I know when I'll be moving somewhere else. That sounds harsh, but it's too easy to live at home and eat my mommy's food. Once I graduate I feel like I need to find my own place of some sort. Weird. Anyway, the parentals were awesome and helpful and then proceeded to spy on me during the game. :)
I love our group for the games. It's our old group from ye olde 129th ward, and even though we're all spread out now I'm glad we can come together for football. I was happy to be greeted by a chorus of "Megan!" from people I haven't seen for months. It helped that the game was a good solid win, but I used the 2nd and 3rd quarters to catch up.
I love my new roommates (and the old ones.) After the game and a visit to Todd and Jason's new apartment (and a viewing of the new Brian Regan DVD - amazing) we had some serious bonding in Jennie and Marci's room. Krissie and Janie both have amazing taste in books and movies (read: very similar to my taste in books and movies) and I think we're going to be heavy in the good times department.
Our church doesn't start until 2:00, so we had WAY too much time on our hands this morning. I think it will be better next week - I'll know how to prepare and now waste my entire morning (plus I'll be able to eat.) I spent the morning reading in bed and then going from closet to closet trying to find something fun to wear. Krissie kept saying she was bored, so I asked if she wanted to do my hair (hers is always cute) and the result is what you see above.
Our church building (yes, church building, not building on campus!) is very nice, but seems to be engineered to let you show off. We had to walk up and down a lot of stairs while members of the opposite sex watched (this is not paranoia, I promise) and we had to walk into a Sunday school class with the entire class facing us. I never want to be late for that class. (The title of this post was my brother Ty's response to my lament that the first week in a new singles' ward makes one feel very on display. Amazing.) We got a good old-fashioned chastity talk out of 1st Corinthians (always a great way to start the year) but the rest of the meetings were nice, and our ward seemed mostly less awkward than is average for a BYU ward.
My favorite part of our new place is the balcony/outdoor entrance to our apartment. After church we made dinner (I was enlisted to sautée the zucchini and squash, and although I didn't eat any, I was told it was perfection in green and gold) and took it out onto the balcony to watch a rain storm under the cover of the overhang.
Ward prayer was more awkward than I thought it should be - I miss knowing everyone - but I think it will all get better.
Here's a picture of the other half of my now organized room. It's still kind of bare - I plan to use part of Labor Day to decorate - but it's pretty and clean and all of my drawers are lined with nice green and blue shelf paper. I'm sorry that I'm I'm not feeling terribly entertaining today - I'm sure that the hilarity will ensue shortly. Like the first time I forget that I have to carry a key now and get locked out. Curses.

4 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I think your brother might be on to something; I actually find meat packing paper quite attractive. But alas, I am sure you will be swept off of all those stairs and into the arms of some charming and delightful BYU boy before too long. Your days as a packaged foodstuff may be numbered!

I know the feeling of not wanting to face the real world after the end of this school year. For this reason, one of the first things I am going to do when I get back to school is apply to the masters program. Grad school here I come! It does sound like you will have a great senior year, though.

I've been reading your blog using Google Reader so this is the first time in a while that I've seen the actual webpage. My eyes are retroactively thanking me.

I'm glad everything seems to be in order for the coming school year. Hope to see you in the winter!

Krilafis said...

I am excited regardless of your end of school year blues. We match; you and I.

Yesterday was so much better at church and all day with all of us there. I was visibly relieved. I could just chill and it was amazing. I am excited for FHE tonight with you and many many more late night pillow talks.

Lili and Jeff said...

Oh man, it is so strange not living with you girls! I am living with a bunch of people that are my age! And it feels weird! Is that wrong? That living with you girls last year seemed a lot less... high schooly? And more... collegey? I don't know. Looks like you are adapting to your surroundings well, and are going to have loads of adventures! Be sure to invite me to some fun times, perhaps a giant journal session or two? I have been working on mine here! (I have no giant journal friends! I am rapidly trying to spread the word, but no one is as influenced when there is just mine and Nicole's floating around...) Anyway, thank heaven for blogs so we can keep in such good touch and see all the things going on in our lives! Happy living at the Belmont, Megan!

Lindsey said...

1. i am glad for blogs.
2. meat packing paper would be difficult to sit in - i'm sure it would rip and crinkle in unattractive ways.
3. FHE is and always be weird. even if you like your group - it's just a difference between good weird and bad weird...and i don't like spelling the word "weird".
4. i heart you.
5. i heart your roommates as well...you will all have tremendous amounts of fun...even if i'm not there...but when i visit...oh man, watch out.
6. i don't really have a six...i just couldn't end this on an odd number...and that's why you love me.