Saturday, November 10, 2007

Catch My Disease

I think I've gone too far. Last night I went to a concert, not because I particularly loved the bands, but because they were okay and Dain was going and I needed a good concert.
And it was that.
I went to see Ben Lee, with Cary Brothers and the Kahn Brothers opening. When we got there the place was pretty much empty - maybe 30 or 40 of us there for the Kahn Brothers. (To prevent confusion-which was rampant at the concert-the Kahn Brothers are actual brothers. Cary Brothers is a man whose last name is Brothers. Clear? Good.) I've been listening to Ben Lee more extensively for the last couple of weeks in preparation, and although I don't love everything he does, a lot of it is fun and clever - good enough to give me an excuse to leave Provo. Cary Brothers is fabulous - I love his song "The Glass Parade" SO much.
The Kahn Brothers were a pleasant surprise. First, they were a fun, low key group - pleasant to listen to. They were also cute, which helped a lot, and they were from Australia (like Ben Lee) so they had fun accents. The one who sang the most had on a shirt that said "Only Love is Real," so you can imagine the kinds of songs they were singing. I bought their EP, which is fun.
Cary was pretty darn fabulous and played all of my favorite songs - "Ride," "Who You Are," "The Glass Parade," and "Blue Eyes." Also, his live version of "Honestly" was absolutely captivating for me, so it was unfortunate that In the Venue doesn't lend itself very well to intimate songs like that. The talking everywhere and especially the stupid girls behind me ("He has such a hot voice. I'd totally sleep with him for his voice. Are they really brothers? They don't look like brothers . . . BLUE EYES! YOU'RE THE blah blah blah KEEP!") really cut into the magic. Still good though.
Ben Lee was the biggest surprise. When he got on stage he was moving a lot - kind of obnoxiously. I was already a little sketchy on him, so I wasn't sure how this was going to go down. Then he jumped on the amp for his (acoustic) guitar solo and said, "Did you see how I broke out that rock star move in the second song? I've set the bar pretty high for the rest of the show!" And part of me was thinking what a moron but the other part of me completely bought into his energy and infectious smile. Not to mention the fact that he played "Into the Dark" early on and I just fell in love with "Love Me Like the World is Ending" this week. He also played "Bruised" from The Bens EP, and he followed that up with Ben Folds's "Brick," to which every person in the venue knew every word. By the time he pulled out the Silverchair song and brought on all of the other performers, we all had silly Ben Lee grins on our faces.
Meanwhile, I remain completely in love with the feeling I get at a good live show. And that's the way I like it.

Update on Lindsey's visit coming soon.

1 comment:

Lili and Jeff said...

What a roller coaster that show was! Those girls behind you sound dumb. I am glad you are much more intellectual than them. That is when you know you are well off when you can hear conversations like that and know that you will never think those things. I will say it again, Megan. You are so very well rounded in the music world. I envy your diversity. Perhaps we can branch me out that much more when I move in!