So yesterday I definitely forgot to call the twins and wish them a happy birthday. I thought about it Tuesday night, and then forgot until I got a funny text from Ty this morning asking if I remembered when I used to love him, and wondering whether having the new Format CD would get him birthday wishes. (Answer: yes.)In my defense, yesterday was pretty crazy. I had class, work, an impromptu pizza with some high school friends, a couple of hours spent working on my Hitchcock paper on campus, a trip to IC to see As You Like It (with sumo wrestling! Kenneth Branagh really is my hero.) a trip to the gelato place, a fun stint helping a friend with the MLA format of his Italian paper (first time I've worked with another language, but apparently MLA is just as ridiculous no matter what language you use) which all came to an end at about 11:15. It was an exciting day, but I never once thought about the date. Sorry Spence and Ty. I still love you.
A word or two about As You Like It: I know that a lot of people have issues with non-traditional interpretations of Shakespeare. I say, there are hundreds of traditional interpretations going on all the time, and they have been going on for hundreds of years. Since every production is an adaptation anyway, why not make it more fun? I absolutely loved the creativity involved in setting this play (one of my favorites) in 19th century Japan. Instead of sword fighting we got sumo wrestling, and samurai warriors banished the old duke - how can you go wrong? I also love Bryce Dallas Howard, and I am increasingly impressed with Romola Garai (even though she was a little obnoxious in the forest. I suppose she's supposed to be). I liked Alfred Molina as Touchstone, but I didn't feel like there was enough of him - he's by far my favorite of all of Shakespeare's fools, and his presence was scanty in this film. I enjoyed Kevin Kline as Jacques (is he really that old??) and I really liked Orlando even though I didn't know the actor. Patrick Doyle's music was as glorious as ever - so yeah. I thought it was fun. Kenneth Branagh remains amazing in my eyes. (Are we surprised? No.) Side note: it takes a serious suspension of disbelief to really think Orlando doesn't know that Ganymede is really Rosalind, except when you remember that he fell in love with her from seeing her eyes above a fan. But really? She's not even wearing a hat for half of it. She just has shorter hair and is wearing what looks like a sport coat. If he can't figure it out from this, he needs to reevaluate his love.
Tonight - Billy Joel. Hurrah!
No comments:
Post a Comment