Monday, November 26, 2007

The General Specific

Stuff you should probably check out (because I have recently, and you know you want to be like me):
  • Band of Horses new CD, Cease to Begin. Fantastic. I particularly like "No One's Gonna Love You" (not depressing, but it sounds like it's going to be, yes?" and "Islands on the Coast."
  • Ian McEwan's Atonement, which I just finished. The whole book is worth it for the effect of the last page. It was so good, and I actually got my blog's new name from it! McEwan is a lot of fun to read(I have to admit, though it may ruin my credibility, that I enjoyed imagining Robbie as James McAvoy, since he's playing him in the movie. But that doesn't mean I didn't recognize the actual merits in the book - it's kind of like the way To Kill a Mockingbird got better when Atticus became Gregory Peck.)
  • Enchanted. Adorable, made fun of Disney without really making fun of the good things about it, had two very attractive men. (I'm sorry Jennie, but I think James Marsden is great, and he was hysterical in this one.)
  • Let It Snow, Baby, Let It Reindeer - Relient K's new Christmas CD. This is why: "What's a partridge? What's a pear tree? I don't know, so please don't ask me - but I can bet those are terrible gifts to give." Also, the Narnia reference that is track 9.
Things you shouldn't check out:
  • Next, starring Nicolas Cage. Sorry friends, but there's a reason you didn't hear about this movie when it came out earlier this year. Just don't even bother.
So we have a CD, a book, a movie, and a Christmas CD, plus I steered you away from a waste of time - I think we've covered our bases for today. Yes? Good? On we go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now wait just a darn second! What, besides the annoying government agent, the under-the-bottom apathy of Mr. Cage and the unbelievability of that girl going with him in the car, is wrong with Next! Maybe I'm lame, but I really liked that movie (except for the above-mentioned things). And what a cool super-power!!!

I think that I shall sometime have to inflict upon you The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Then... then you'll esteem Next to be of high quality... yes...