I've wanted to like it for a long time. I've been to a couple of operas now (La Boheme, The Marriage of Figaro), and I enjoyed them, but I've never just liked listening to it.
I've been reading a book called Bel Canto. It's a very lovely book, one of those that make me feel the way East of Eden made me feel. Some books are sit on the edge of your seat and devour books, and other books are sit back and savour books. This is the latter type of book, as was East of Eden. Anyway, several of the characters in this book are opera lovers, and while I'm reading about them I'm thinking, "Huh, I want to like opera too!" But what really pushed me over the proverbial opera edge was finding this CD at the library today.

Mostly this is because I know two of the singers in this performance, which is saying something, because I know about 5 opera singers total. I think it's a sign, especially because I've had a thing for Bryn Terfel's voice ever since I saw him sing at the Mo Tab concert.
On the way to devotional, I asked Whitney for a couple more suggestions and ended up with these two. Funny how Whitney picked German operas, isn't it?


So I'm giving it a shot. So far I like it, which will probably seal my fate as a future super villain. (Have you noticed this? Lex Luthor is the only one I can think of right now, but I'm telling you - bad guys love opera.)

Mostly this is because I know two of the singers in this performance, which is saying something, because I know about 5 opera singers total. I think it's a sign, especially because I've had a thing for Bryn Terfel's voice ever since I saw him sing at the Mo Tab concert.
On the way to devotional, I asked Whitney for a couple more suggestions and ended up with these two. Funny how Whitney picked German operas, isn't it?


So I'm giving it a shot. So far I like it, which will probably seal my fate as a future super villain. (Have you noticed this? Lex Luthor is the only one I can think of right now, but I'm telling you - bad guys love opera.)
3 comments:
That means I married a villian. And my brother in law must be the villian of villians because he SINGS OPERA AS A PROFESSION! Where is my life headed? I know not.
Is it bad that I totally have a thing for Lex Luthor? Suave bad guys who love opera are hot! (I'm thinking of the Lex from the tv show Lois & Clark--that actor is very attractive.... :D)
Indeed bad guys do love opera. Ever watch Alias? I swear every bad guy was at an opera or a symphony concert. Even the man who killed Batman's parents was outside an opera. You are well on your way to being a Super Villain (capitalized) by liking opera. And...wait...does the fact that I'm not too big a fan make me your arch-nemisis?
Post a Comment