Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fine. Here it is.


Okay, about five million people have tagged me in their 25 things notes on facebook, and even though I don't really like posting notes on facebook, I kind of want to make one. (I hate the whole idea of posting notes on facebook - no particular reason, so you all just go ahead, but I'd rather keep everything here.) In any case, the more I read other people's notes, the more I want to make a list, even though I feel like I won't have anything too random to say because I make lists all the time. If you already know it all, you can just ignore it. :)
  1. I have major anxiety about making phone calls to people I don't know (and sometimes to people I do know, depending on how well I know them or why I have to call them). I'm trying to get over that right now with my new job, because making outgoing calls kind of freaks me out, and we're supposed to make them daily. 
  2. I don't just love my brothers because I'm related to them. I genuinely like them as people too.  I love talking to them and swapping music with them and hitting the movies with them and watching how they interact with their kids, and I hope that someday I end up with someone who lives up to the standard of awesomeness they have set. 
  3. I don't really care for most romantic comedies, (and actually lots of comedies - I hate bathroom humor and sexual humor with a burning purple passion because it seems like such a cop out - which is funny, because Shakespeare uses some of both and it doesn't bother me there) but I really love the ones I love, and I'm a complete sucker for long BBC adaptations of romantic novels. I get giddy in certain parts of certain movies every time I watch them, and I feel a little let down when it's over, also every time. 
  4. I feel a little lost if I'm not really into a good book - but I also sometimes feel lost when I finish a book I really love because I'm sad I don't get to read more about the characters. This is part of the reason that non-fiction is sometimes hard for me. 
  5. I'm a very visual person. I always understand something better if I can see it while I'm hearing it. This is why I take really detailed notes when I'm in a class where the professor doesn't use the chalkboard or power points, and why I draw a lot of things out when I'm planning. There are some things that I actually cannot figure out unless I can physically move things around. 
  6. I'm thoroughly in love with yogurt. My favorite kind is Western Family - it has the best consistency, and there's nothing better than a good tub of boysenberry yogurt with fruit that you have to stir in. I also miss British yogurt with the delicious fruit or chocolate mix-ins. (And the rice pudding. Man, do I ever miss the rice pudding!) The Yoplait custard style is also pretty decent.
  7. At my new job I have my own desk, and I kind of love that. It makes me feel more like an adult than most of the other jobs I've had. Also, even though I don't really love having to be to work by 6, I do love those two hours when I have the office to myself. 
  8. Related to that last one, I've always loved the times when I've had my apartment or house to myself. When I was 12 or 13 I used to love it when my parents would go out and leave me alone - I'd watch Princess Bride or dance to Paul Simon in the living room and just love the time that I had all to myself. I think that's why I've always liked to stay up late too - I like those hours when everyone else asleep and it's just me and a book and a reading lamp.
  9. I'm something of an insomniac. I think this is why I stay up late reading or watching things on Hulu or blogging - sometimes I just don't want to face the time it will take for me to fall asleep. Sometimes listening to music helps me to get there faster, but sometimes I concentrate on the lyrics and it doesn't help at all. (That's something I've done since I stopped listening to storybook tapes - Simon and Garfunkle every night, sometimes both sides of the tape with me mouthing the words to every song, and then I'd go to sleep.) 
  10. Without contacts or glasses, I'm probably legally blind. I am grateful for corrective lenses (and especially my 30 day and night contacts that make me feel like I'm not blind) almost daily. 
  11. I really like surprises when it comes to presents, especially when the person knows me well. It's nice to get what you wanted, but I think it's nicer when someone knows you well enough to know what you would like. I have many wonderful people in my life who are stellar gift givers, and I think it's partially because they just pay attention. I also really love to give gifts when I know that the person receiving will like it, and it stresses me out when I feel like someone should get a gift from me and I don't know what to give them. 
  12. I didn't use to dislike winter as much as I do now. I think it has to do with how completely petrified I am of driving in the snow, although there comes a point in winter when I get fed up with having to plan my footwear around ice and puddles and mud. I feel a very literal lifting of my spirits when spring starts to show up (and am always so disappointed when winter pops up a few more times before spring stays, no matter how often I tell myself its going to happen.)
  13. I love to tie quilts - always with my mom, in the family room, watching movies. This may be how I developed that love of the BBC miniseries that I always talk about. It's so much easier when you don't have to change movies as often. 
  14. I have a thing for biopics. They're almost invariably depressing (apparently you only make movies about people whose lives are depressing) and full of drugs or womanizing or abuse or other unpleasant things (especially when it's a movie about a musician), but there's still something so fascinating about seeing stories about people's lives and seeing actors try to step into the role of someone everyone knows so well. 
  15. I still sleep with stuffed animals - two dogs named Humphrey and Ingrid. Ingrid has a rice bag in her stomach that you can heat up or cool down. which is nice when I can't get my feet to warm up at night.
  16. I still get homesick sometimes. It makes me really nervous to move away to another state for grad school, but I really feel like it's what I'm supposed to do, and I think it'll be good for me. But that doesn't mean I don't feel sick about it. 
  17. Sometimes I feel like the feminist in me is fighting with the part of me that likes to make pies and buy purses. Then I decide that's called balance, and it's fine. 
  18. As many CDs, artists, genres, etc. as I love, I think that, weirdly enough, my very favorite CD may actually be the soundtrack to The Mission. Something about Ennio Morricone's score to that movie really gets to me, and not just because it brings back images from a wonderful movie (which it is, and which is what usually happens with soundtracks) but because it's just amazing. I wish I could articulate why I think it's so beautiful, but you'll probably just have to listen to it. 
  19. One of my favorite things to do when I moved to my current apartment was to walk up the hill to the park with a book. I think missing that is one of the reasons I so desperately want winter to be over. I know the park and the walk are still there, but it just isn't the same when you have to slip on ice all the way up and know that the perfect spot under the tree is all soggy and brown now. 
  20. I absolutely love to watch What Not To Wear, even though it isn't as much fun without Miri. I invoke Stacey London and Clinton Kelly constantly when I'm shopping, and my roommates have now learned that if I say "Ooh! That's a What Not to Wear after outfit!" that it's a big compliment. I feel a little silly about how entertaining I find that show, but I own yellow shoes because of it, so. . .
  21. I own a cowboy hat, and it's actually pretty cute. I have never found an opportunity to wear it. I think I would feel like a poser if it wasn't Halloween or a barn dance or something. 
  22. I hate turning people down for dates or just letting people know I'm not interested - especially if the guy is nice and a friend (and not a "creeper"). There have been times when I actually left my phone in my room because I knew someone was going to call and didn't want to feel guilty for not answering the phone - which actually made things worse, because calling someone back is ten times as bad when you know you're going to say no. I wish I didn't feel so awkward about things like this, but it makes me physically ill. 
  23. I have a really overactive imagination. When I was little, I would go down to the basement for something, and then after I turned the light off to go back upstairs I'd imagine that something was behind me, and I'd always run up the stairs two at a time. I still do this sometimes, especially at night. For the same reason, being the first one in my building in the morning freaks me out a little, and I never take the garbage out at night.
  24. I think the thing I mind the most about being single is the fear that someday all of my friends will be married and I won't be able to find any single ones. The singleness itself isn't really that bad, but the idea of third-wheeling it for the rest of my life totally is. 
  25. I will always be grateful that I decided to live away from home for college, even if I wasn't that far away. Having roommates who liked to talk about boys and share clothes and do hair was just what I thought having sisters would be like, and a lot of those roommates are the reasons I know how to do my makeup and my hair. I've loved them all. 
There's the list (two days after I started it). I hope it isn't all stuff you've read on this blog a hundred times before. And yikes. I need to be in bed 3 hours ago. 

4 comments:

Janssen said...

It's always sad to me when people don't live away from home for college. I think it's one of Bart's bigger regrets about his BYU experience.

emilymcb said...

We need to find a way to get the Tesco Rice Pudding here. Haha.

Makayla Steiner said...

Hm. I've rather liked living at "home" during my BYU years. But I don't exactly have a roommate personality. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I plan on being single for a LONG LONG LONG time. :)

grburbank said...

Great list!
Re: 8 I have also always loved when I have the house (or apartment when I was in college) to myself. It's one of my favorite things.

Re: 12 I cannot wait to wear flip-flops again. Today my shoes got soaked by the slush. Not pleasant.

Re: 17 Do you read the Feminist Mormon Housewives blog? You might like it.

Re: 24 Single and Fabulous!