My new job is good, although also kind of a work in progress. Clark and I have been experimenting with different things, including some Twitter spamming (hey, if you're talking about what medicine you need in your Twitter post, I'm sending you a coupon. Seriously, people? Immodium? You want the entire world to know you have some kind of gastric ailment?) and some other social networking, as well as some email campaigns and a few other things. It's fun working with Clark and carpooling with Spence (even if Spence's carpool listens to Glenn Beck on the way home sometimes), and I think that once we settle into what I'm really doing, the job is going to be really enjoyable. I will admit that the other day when I read Brittany's blog about her secret love of Zac Efron (which included her trademark, "Don't judge. You don't even know my life." I felt a little pang of missing Five Star, but I'm not going to miss trying to cram people into little spaces of time or trying to get them same day appointments because they apparently decided to get their house painted and therefore need to do it IMMEDIATELY or possibly YESTERDAY.
I would like to say a little word about Twitter, because I've been spending some time there for the last couple of days, and I have sworn that I will never have my own account there unless I have some kind of business need to connect to people that way. There may be people who are really clever, but mostly I just see a lot of people talking about nothing to no one in particular. The number of posts that I read and just go "Seriously? You wrote that?" is pretty unbelievable. Everyone else can just enjoy that fad without me. I have a hard enough time with the Facebook status, but at least there's more going on with profiles and wall posts and such. I realize that even this blog is an extended form of the same narcissism that drives many of the tweets I see, but at least I'm using complete sentences. And while I'm operating under the possibly false assumption that you all care about the trivial things I write about, you did actually come here, so you must care a little bit. Sigh. And now I sound very stodgy and old. Oh well.
Meanwhile, My secret stash of internet connection is still holding out (in one corner of the house and occasional bursts in my room) enough to keep me semi-connected. Today I got one really awesome gift from the wireless gods and got a consistent enough connection that I was able to watch the latest episode of Dollhouse, which, just by the way, was AWESOME, and yay for whoever plays Wash on Firefly being the fabulous guest star.
I've had a cold this week, which has been funny with all of the Swine Flu freak outs everywhere, but I laughed really hard when I turned over my James Dean calendar the other night and came up with picture picture very similar to this (except he was wearing glasses):

Yeah. Could James have better timing? I'm going to submit that he cannot.
I'm about halfway through 1984, having put a couple of other things on hold so that I can bond with my sister-in-law at her monthly book club this month. It's both everything and nothing that I expected, and I'm enjoying it, including the occasional renamed references to places in London. (Victory Square is totally Trafalgar Square, and I love that I could tell based on the description of where St. Martin-in-the-Fields and the "picture gallery" are.)
I'm hitting up some of my nephews' baseball games while I'm around (I had to miss Jake's because I'd stayed home from work with the cold, but I saw Cooper's) and that's enjoyable. More enjoyable is the fact that Savy and Cooper have started answering anyone who says "Sorry" to them by singing "It's too late to apologize." I spent last summer having Katie Rencher sing that to everyone in London, and hearing it come out of Savy's little mouth sounding more like "It's too yate to apowogize!" is just beyond amazing. I can't believe she's about to turn four.
I'm going to finish this off with a to-be-added-to list of my priority movies and books for the summer, because it's harder to get up the urge to post when you have to haul downstairs and sit on the bench by the window without moving too much, so I'm going to take full advantage.
Movies:
State of Play
The Soloist
Up
Wolverine (as skeptical as I am about the whole X-Men:Origins concept, I do dearly love these movies and will probably stick with them through one more)
Star Trek (how can this be so exciting when I didn't watch Star Trek at all growing up? JJ Abrams, possibly)
Harry Potter (obviously)
Wolverine (as skeptical as I am about the whole X-Men:Origins concept, I do dearly love these movies and will probably stick with them through one more)
Star Trek (how can this be so exciting when I didn't watch Star Trek at all growing up? JJ Abrams, possibly)
Harry Potter (obviously)
Is Anybody There? (If it ever comes anywhere near me)
Adam
possibly The Brother Bloom (mostly because I love the two leading men so much)
Lots more I can't remember now but will add later. Or possible not that many. Who can keep track? I think there's something I wanted to see that's still at the cheap theater in Kaysville though, so I'm getting on that. And I just looked it up. Taken, because I love Liam.
Still Little Dorrit, as soon as the library or Top Hat get it.
Books:
Return of the Native (for my summer Hardy)
Life of Pi
The Satanic Verses
Convergence
At least one of the Cranford books in that set I got
Middlemarch
Tender is the Night
One of the unread E.M. Forster novels on my shelf - A Passage to India or Where Angles Fear to Tread (or possibly A Room With a View, which I don't have on my shelf, but I loved the movie when I saw it at the IC a LOT.)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (yes, that's happening)
Lots more I can't remember now but will add later. Or possible not that many. Who can keep track? I think there's something I wanted to see that's still at the cheap theater in Kaysville though, so I'm getting on that. And I just looked it up. Taken, because I love Liam.
Still Little Dorrit, as soon as the library or Top Hat get it.
Books:
Return of the Native (for my summer Hardy)
Life of Pi
The Satanic Verses
Convergence
At least one of the Cranford books in that set I got
Middlemarch
Tender is the Night
One of the unread E.M. Forster novels on my shelf - A Passage to India or Where Angles Fear to Tread (or possibly A Room With a View, which I don't have on my shelf, but I loved the movie when I saw it at the IC a LOT.)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (yes, that's happening)
6 comments:
First, see X-Men... it was great!
Second, it's funny that you posted a Twitter/Facebook/blogging observation today. As I was driving home today, I was thinking about similarities and differences between blogging and Facenbokking -- both my brothers recently signed up for Facebook and have been eagerly garnering friends every day. I think blogs are (I'll just go ahead and use the word) better because:
1. Your thoughts aren't categorized. You aren't filling out a form. You've got a blank slate that you can fill out however you'd like.
2. It takes (should take) more effort to write a coherent post than to slap down 140 characters or update your status. And more effort generally means higher quality.
May the wireless gods continue to bless you :)
1. It has been quite a while since I started to feel "stodgy and old" about some things, mostly technological (but probably also resulting from hearing my brothers tell me that I don't know what high school is like anymore because things are already completely different from when I was there). I have no intention of getting on the Twitter train.
2. Wolverine was great, we saw it yesterday! I also liked State of Play, although it wasn't quite as good as it could've been.
I've been to a few movies recently, and State of Play was one of the better ones. It is pretty long though, clocking in at nearly 3 hours.
At first I didn't think the Star Trek movie looked very good, but the more previews I see for it the better it looks. I didn't know that JJ was working it either. I like JJ.
I'm also a big fan of Dollhouse. I didn't know you watched it. It doesn't suffer (quite as badly) from momentum issues, as many of my other favorites do on a regular basis (24, Fringe, Heroes). I appreciate that.
Finally, the only reason I have a twitter account is because I use it to update my facebook status. I'm still a little bit bitter that T-Mobile doesn't support Facebook's SMS service.
I totally agree that blogs are better than Twitter for all the many reasons already noted.
I totally want to see State of Play (Helen Mirren!) and The Brothers Bloom (Rachel Weisz!).
Life of Pi is interesting, and perhaps we should read Tender is the Night for book club this summer. I was also going to read a lot of E.M. Forster after my Virginia Woolf class, but I only got as far as purchasing Maurice.
while i agree that blogs are better than twitter....i still joined twitter. but i did it when i was selling tutus and it helped for those purposes. mostly now it's entertainment. i follow random people like Rainn Wilson, Nathan Fillion and The Pioneer Woman (among others) because they post things that make me laugh. i post throughout the day and i really have no idea why. it will surely get old one of these days and i'll stop.
i like this post for other reasons, but all of them were explained to you on the phone while i read it. :) i sure do miss you.
Post a Comment