First, I thought you'd all like to see the picture from my James Dean calendar for this month. Lovely, isn't it? Today my family got high speed internet. For the first time. After successfully setting it up, I celebrated by doing the following:
- Showing my parents the latest Will Ferrell as George Bush clip on Hulu
- Downloading iTunes and teaching my dad the delicate art that is importing music. (He thought it was much harder than it is.)
- Finding all of the songs my dad has been talking about for years and hasn't been able to find - if not the actual songs, at least lyrics, which meant he was still very impressed and happy to know that he didn't dream up the song years ago. (By the way, if anyone knows where I can find the song "Rings for Sale" by Roger Miller, please let me know. I would be a hero.)
- Teaching my mom how to add a favorite
- Registering for my fall classes (including Reference with the famous Kurdish professor that both Steve at the MAD and Julie my Indiana contact told me was amazing)
- Uploading about 8 albums to a folder called "Operation Liberation" for Treb. At Christmas, I synced his iPod to my computer so he'd have something to listen to, but now he has to reconfigure it so that he can have his music. He sent me a list of the things he can't live without until next Christmas or whenever we see him again and have another music swap, so tonight I sent over the Calexico, Andrew Bird, and Bon Iver.
- Watching a couple of episodes of Arrested Development while uploading the aforementioned music for my brother.
- Finding a free download of a song by a band I heard on All Songs Considered today called Fanfarlo - the two songs I've heard so far have been fabulous, so I'l probably be seeking out more soon. Also, I downloaded a free mp3 of a "Rocket Man" cover they featured on This American Life from a project they did with a one day band. It's actually not too bad, and it reminds me that I should probably have a little Elton John in my music library. It's probably a little ridiculous of me not to have any.
In other news, I got to talk to Jason McGee about London today because he's heading to the airport tomorrow for an amazing one month tour of Europe. (Jealous, but it made me really happy to tell him about London.) I probably told him more than he wanted to know in a really incoherent way, but I hope it helped a little, because 3 days in London isn't enough, but having some idea about what's worth it and what isn't makes it better.
Tomorrow is my mumsy's birthday, so planning on some serious post-work playing with her. Good times.
Stella finally got her groove back - or at least the part of her groove embodied in the driver's side bumper - and as soon as we're sure the paint is going to hold, I'm going to put on my Vonnegut bumper sticker (since my Mind the Gap one was lost in the bumper transfer).
Now I'm going to try to sleep without clenching my jaw tonight. Good crimony. I don't know if I'm chewing too much gum (entirely possible, actually) or stressing myself out in my sleep or just leaning forward concentrating too much at work (the emails I've been making lately have been hating on me, but I delude myself into thinking that someday I'll understand what's going on), but it needs to cut it out or I'll get lock jaw or something exciting like that.
Please welcome my parents to the interwebs at last.
3 comments:
i've got elton john! i do, i do! i can get some to you. :) i love finding music that i can give you because you give me so much music and then i'm like, "Uh, here's a song."
i'm so happy happy you have interwebs. i'm doing a little happy dance.
you can always get a sports mouth guard for sleeping to ease the teeth clenching. that's what the doctor had me use at first and it's not terribly comfortable, but it helps a lot and i got a lot less headaches and jaw pain. i use a more expensive one now because it's a long term thing.
i want that rocket man cover please.
finally, happy birthday to your mumsy. may it be glorious and fun-filled.
James Dean. Sigh...
Here's the best I can do (by way of the most ridiculous url-shortener on the interwebs):
http://www.socuteurl.com/lolpuppyfuzzy
http://www.socuteurl.com/puppybunnyfoo
http://www.socuteurl.com/froggywoofoof
Post a Comment