Thursday, June 11, 2009

This is Summer

Since I haven't posted for awhile, I give you a brief update of what I've been doing lately. 

What I'm Listening To
  • Lots and lots of Andrew Bird, including a little of his first CD, which is bizarre and very Celtic-sounding. I don't know when he developed his real style, but I'm glad he did.
  • Lots of covers. Most recent addition? Greg Laswell's cover of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." It's lovely.
  • This bizarre mix of space-related music I made. It has "Rocketman" and "Spaceman" and "Starlight" and lots of Ziggy Stardust and Major Tom. I like it. I want to make a mix of train songs next. Or rain songs, in honor of our long wet spell here.
  • TV On the Radio. It isn't like anything else I normally listen to, but it's kind of great.
  • Fanfarlo. I found them on All Songs Considered the other day, and they are FABULOUS.
  • The National, of whom I never seem to tire.
  • Podcasts and NPR. So nerdy.
What I'm Reading
  • Most recently, The Secret History (so good! Thank you Greg!), Run, (because even though I thought Bel Canto had a cheesy ending, I love Ann Patchett's style a lot), and soon Return of the Native, because Treb and I have made a pact that we will Hardy it up together this summer, and have our own little mini book club. 
  • Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, which is the book for next month in the book club around here. It looks good and I'm excited. 
  • If I ever get around to it, I would love to read Life of Pi and The Satanic Verses this summer, not to mention the Anne Tyler and Norman Mailer books I picked up from the sale table and B&N. (Yes I'm saving money, but that doesn't mean you can't buy the essentials!) 
What I'm Watching
  • More BBC miniseries movies
  • More Buffy, especially when my parents go on vacation and I don't have to feel guilty about not talking to them for hours on end. I'm only a season and a half or so away from the musical episode, and I'm pretty sure Nathan Fillion is going to pop in at some point as well. I'm just going to pull out all the stops and go full speed ahead on the nerd train. 
  • Henry V and The Secret Garden at the very least down at ye old USF. 
  • Some new show called Mental that showed up on Hulu. It's not amazing, but the head of the psych ward is cute and British, so I keep watching. 
  • The Brothers Bloom tonight, with Kellie. It exceeded my expectations, which were decently high. I loved it. 
  • Up, which I saw with Coop and Savy and Spence and my parents. DE-lightful. 
What I'm Doing

Besides being a miser and hoarding my money, I'm doing the following: 
  • Enjoying my job and getting to see my brothers every day. 
  • Learning basic html so that I can write the code for the emails we send out and get rid of all of the crap that Dreamweaver throws in that our email program takes back out.
  • Buying makeup with my coupon code (mwinegar0509, people! 10% off!), usually one item at a time because that's all I think of. 
  • Regretting the fact that I probably will not be going to see Conor Oberst at library square next week because a) it's $30 and I am saving money, after all and b) all of my friends who like him (Lindsey) are far, far away. And since I don't live in NYC with Treb, I don't get to go and see him for free. Hmph. 
  • Doing my best to have a good attitude about the singles' ward (like mostly surviving the ward campout)
  • Getting ready to sign a lease for an apartment in Indiana and registering for classes with professors who have diverse, unpronounceable names. I know that one of them is Kurdish.
  • Pretty much hyperventilating every time I have to drive through a puddle on the freeway. Stupid slushy spinout. 
  • Showering my nephews and nieces with adoration. (Exhibit A)

That pretty much catches you up to speed.  Maybe I'll post another playlist soon, since actually writing has been a struggle lately. 




5 comments:

emilymcb said...

Let's add a "watching movies with Emily" section asap.

Lin said...

i would LOVE to go see Conor Oberst with you!! only, how awesome would it be if we weren't poor and you could get to NY and I could get to NY and we could all go see him for FREE!? because...you know...if i was rich I would totally still be living in my parent's house *cough cough*

i watched the assassination of jesse james the other day and it was pretty ho hum. nice acting, but my word it was slow. SLOWER than slow. next up is The Namesake which i expect will be somewhat depressing, but that's never stopped me before.

i intend on finishing buffy season 2 before it goes off hulu...then on to 3!! it's all a little less addicting for me since i've seen most of the episodes at least twice already.

Saw Up. Loved it. Want to see Brothers Bloom - glad you liked it.

I've been watching Mental too for the SAME EXACT REASON. is that sad? are we shallow?

I also plan on downloading that music...and i hope the new cover is on there because you know i can't resist a good 80s cover song. they're like crack to me.

I just got Shannon Hale's latest in the mail...it's going to be different, but i have high-apple-pie-in-the-sky hopes. I'm also enjoying the Julie Andrews memoir...her family was nutzo.

i want to buy makeup! i spent a whole bunch on some MAC eyeshadow but it was one of the best purchases ever. also, MAC liquid eyeliner that stays on FOREVER. seriously. in the pool, in the shower, in the rain. only thing that gets it off is makeup remover and facewash. it's my new favorite makeup staple.

finally...those boys are getting big! and they are still cute as ever.

honest to goodness finally, i miss you.

Krilafis said...

Hey! I am engaged and I really want you to do the music at my reception. What do you say my friend?!

Maria Grazia said...

BBC series - long or mini- are one of my fondness!
Nice blog,MEG!

Trub said...

Ok, I really think you need to add some Sun Ra to your space mix. Sadly, I think Space is the Place is far too long a song for me to even upload. Also, George Clinton. They were musical space voyagers long before Bowie came along.

Gearing up for Hardy. Really, I am.