In honor of the excessive number of rain storms of late, I wanted to post a list of rain songs. (Treb, didn't you make one of these a few years ago? You could probably add.) I made a quick one with the search function on my iPod at work, so I've sifted it out a little. It's mostly supposed to be songs ABOUT rain rather than just songs that have rain in the title. (In other words, as much as I love the song "Damn, Sam, I Love a Woman Who Rains," it will not be on this playlist. There may be a few exceptions anyway though.) - "Sit and Listen to the Rain" - Whiskytown
- "Ballet for a Rainy Day" - XTC
- "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" - Travis
- "Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall" - Simon and Garfunkle (slight cheat, but still works and so good)
- "Rain Falls Down" - Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band
- "Rain" - Rusted Root
- "Let It Rain" - OK Go
- "Caught In the Rain" - Martin Sexton
- "Still Rainin'" - Jonny Lang
- "Blinding Sheets of Rain" - Old 97s
- "Dry the Rain" - The Beta Band (I just want it there, okay?)
- "Buckets of Rain" - Bob Dylan (because "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" isn't really about rain, it's about change. And this one isn't really either, but it feels like rainy day music, and that's the important part. I think I might let "Shelter from the Storm slip in as well.)
- "I Can't Stand the Rain" - The Commitments
- "Raining in Baltimore" - The Counting Crows (one of my all-time favorite songs)
- "Chance of Rain" - John Gorka
- "It's Raining Again" - Supertramp (yes, I really have this)
- "Heavy Cloud (No Rain)" - Sting
- "A Thing Called Rain" - Jackie Greene (again, this one may not be completely about rain, but it feels like a rainy day, so it stays.)
- "Storm" - Jose Gonzalez
- "Kathy's Song" - Simon and Garfunkle (because this is one of the first songs I always think of when it rains. "I hear the drizzle of the rain, like a memory it falls, soft and warm, continuing, tapping on my roof and walls.")
- "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors (Um, yes. And it always scares me.)
- "Rainy Day" - Guster (this song is SO depressing, but I guess it needs to be here anyway.)
- "Weatherbeaten" - Republic Tigers
- "Thunder" - Young Dubliners (this is another sort of, but it's just kind of awesome.)
- "Nice Weather for Ducks" - Lemon Jelly (because it's SO bizarre, but really fantastic. How can you say no to a song that begins with "All the ducks are swimming in the water, fal-der-al-der-alda?" Yeah.
So there you go. Mostly I feel like making this will put an end to the rain so that no one can use it, but even so, everyone should have a good rain playlist, right?
10 comments:
I know it's country, but "I Wish I Were the Rain" by SheDaisy is fantastic.
What about the Rainy Days and Mondays song from The Carpenters? :)
Oooh! "Hangin' around, nothing to do but frown. Rainy days and Mondays always get me down."
Exactly. Makayla is my new friend bc she read my mind.
Excellent. I like new friends. As if the fact that you are friends with Megan isn't enough. :)
Megan,
Does it make you proud of me for having the Simon and Garfunkle CD in my car right now? Can we be long-distance friends? Thanks,
Elise
I would have to add "Every Time it Rains" by Charlotte Martin. It may not actually be about rain, the rain being symbolic, but I love it and the song begins with the sound of thunder and rain.
One of my favourite songs at the moment is James Morrison's PLEASE DON'T STOP THE RAIN. I've got sort of a fixation...I have it always in my mind and find myself humming it even in the most ... let's say ... inadequate (?) situations! Anyhow, it has been very sunny & hot here in Italy in the last few days!
Have a nice weekend.
When you come down (much rejoicing!), I would be so excited if you would bring your computer. You're the most awesome person at putting together playlists!
Okay, so I'm a bit behind on posting this, but I definitely have the best addition to this list.
U2 has a song called Summer Rain, that is absolutely gorgeous. It's got an acoustic touch, which is moderately rare for U2. I have designated it as one of my official songs for summer '09. It's technically an unreleased track, so good luck trying to find it. :-)
Here's some songs that I found on my iTunes that you would never include in your list and probably make fun of me for having:
1. Blame it on the Rain by Milli Vanilli
2. Too Much Rain by ATB
3. Thunder by AC-DC (unlike the Young Dubliner song by the same title which I haven't heard but is evidently only "kind of awesome" this one is completely awesome) :)
4. Rain Drops Keep Fallin' On My Head by BJ Thomas
5. Who'll stop the Rain by Credence Clearwater Revival (you could also use Have You Ever Seen the Rain by them or 1 of 2 punk covers by others)
6. Rain King by the Counting Crows
7. I Love a Rainy Night by Eddie Rabbit
8. Here Comes the Rain Again by the Eurythmics
9. Baby the Rain Must Fall by the Limeliters
10. Acid Rain by Liquid Tension Experiment (okay, so this might not be about rain--there's no words--but it is seriously awesome)
11.I Can See Clearly by the Hothouse Flowers
Post a Comment