Friday, November 20, 2009

The Geek Out

Okay, it has to be said.

Tonight Jill and Ann and I went to see New Moon.

Like this.




Ann's shirt says, "Team Indifferent."


The front of my shirt just says, "Edward?"

My favorite part of this is the whole pretending to be self-righteous about Twilight while we're there on opening day, as well as the pretending that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is somehow less geeky. (Buffy does have more street cred though. There's a certain respectability despite things like this (thank you for being short and getting better quickly, season one): http://www.hulu.com/watch/1298/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-vampire-harvest-ritual#x-4,vclip,3,0) But I digress from my point, which was that we defied geekiness with uber-geekiness.

That being said, the movie was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm not going to say a lot, but this has always been my favorite of the books, and I wasn't disappointed. We laughed, we cried, we laughed hysterically at a few really choice parts, the bad CGI wolves and every time one of the guys took his shirt off again. (I lied about the crying. There was no crying. Except with laughter.) Overall though, I thought it was better than the first one (probably because of the budget being bigger this time and the translation into less moody guitar in the soundtrack and a better overall quality), and Michael Sheen was awesomely creepy. Speaking of which - did I just think Michael Sheen was more respectable than he is? Because I thought Frost/Nixon plus The Queen meant that he had higher standards. But then, I also didn't expect Justin Vernon to be such a teeny bopper sellout until I found out he wrote a song for the soundtrack (which sounded awesome, by the way, and I need it). I suppose if Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy can be in Underworld, Michael Sheen can be Aro. I think it just threw me because I didn't know he was in the movie until today. Regardless of any of this, he was awesome.


Yeah. Creeptastic.

Anyway. Don't be fooled by my laughter and scorn for some of the more ridiculous moments. I loved it, as I expected to, and I'm not ashamed. (Take that, haters. Also Jill.) You should all check out Julie's guest post on the blogject today. I think it sums up certain aspects of the hysteria perfectly, and I love it. I also really love Janssen's review. It says many of the things I didn't write about but agree with fully, so go ahead and read her post if you want a positive review that still makes fun of Edward's lipstick.

Also, watching the previews was even more enjoyable than it usually is because Ann instituted a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs sideways voting policy before they started. I started off with a thumbs down for When in Rome, switched to a thumbs up when Lee Pace came on screen, then was back to thumbs down by the end of the preview. It looks really bad. The next preview was for Dear John, and although I was already in a thumbs down state of mind when I saw that Channing Tatum was in it, I reserved judgment until the screen said, "From Nicolas Sparks," which was when Ann and I gave it a thumbs down simultaneously. Also, I'm grateful to the Letters to Juliet preview for giving away the entire movie so I don't have to be torn between my love of Vanessa Redgrave and how bad that movie looked. It was a great game.

Finally, I've been excited for Sherlock Holmes and The Lovely Bones for awhile, but I got more excited for the former after some pre-previews tonight, and I got more excited about the later when I realized the Peter Jackson is doing it. This is your chance to make up for King Kong, Peter!

8 comments:

grburbank said...

Ha ha, I love the shirts!

Jill said...

I thank you for putting me in a category separate from the Haters. I am not a hater, I am not a lover- I am a category that is all my own :) Also...

Edward: "Noooooooooooo!" [looks around for the masked bandit to join and avenge the death of his beloved.]

Sean and Jennie said...

Thank you so much for being so honest about loving Twilight! I hate that some of our group now deny their inner love of Edward Cullen. I am very excited to see the movie!
Sean was asking me this morning to explain the final battle with the Volturi in Breaking Dawn, it all sounds so ridiculous when said aloud, but makes complete and wonderful sense when read in the confines of my own brain. Here's to knowing we are ridiculous and Geeky and embracing it! I give your post 2 thumbs up:)

Meg said...

Greg - Thanks. :)
Jill - You're welcome.
Jennie - I KNOW, RIGHT?? I've always loved the end of New Moon. It completely works for me. Don't know why. That's why I love New Moon so much. It's depressing all the way through, but the pay off at the end is very much worth it.

Julie W said...

i can't wait to see it tonight.

Torie said...

I agree completely, with both the trailers and the movie. I liked it! And I'm also glad I don't have to see Dear John. I am SO excited about Sherlock Homes! Dear Megan, our movie tastes coincide again.

ferskner said...

Hooray for an excellent evening!!!! (Crumbles her cell phone) (P.S. I have to give credit for the thumbs up/thumbs down game to my brother, who instituted it many many years ago. He usually bases his criteria on the number of zombies likely to be in the movie, though.)

Jill said...

Can I just say that as a indiscriminate lover of all movies (yes, the good, the bad and everything in between), it was actually rather difficult to play the thumbs up/thumbs down game?! I'll start playing it next time we go to the opera, though..."thumbs up for this duet...thumbs down for that aria." It will totally work!