Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thankful, vol. 1

It's time for a Thanksgiving post, don't you think?
It's been a crazy year of much tumult and disorder. I've had four different jobs since last Thanksgiving, I've changed my plans three or four times, and some of that plan-changing launched me to Bloomington, IN, which is where I will be spending Thanksgiving this year. It's been quite a ride, but as I think about it, I have a lot to be thankful for as I approach my first Thanksgiving away from home. Here are a few of the many things I'll be thinking about while I eat my turkey and pie this year:


  1. My parents. Aside from their being generally awesome and supportive and amazing, I'm really grateful for them this year because they were awesome and supportive and amazing about my harebrained scheme to move halfway across the country to become a librarian. I know they weren't excited about it, but they've been really great about everything, and I can't thank them enough. Trying makes me feel a little like this:
  2. My family. I'm really thankful that the rest of my family for a) missing me and b) sending me lots of pictures and music and other things that make me feel generally connected to what's going on at home. They're great, and I'm always grateful that I have a family awesome enough to miss so much. 
  3. My branch/the church. I don't know how people pick up and move to a new place without having a panic attack when they don't know that they'll have a built-in support group when they get there. One of the most amazing things about moving out here was realizing that no matter where I go, if there's an LDS ward or branch there, I have friends who will take care of me. Which brings me to my next point . . .
  4. My roommates and the other branchies. I couldn't have asked for more wonderful roommates and friends to greet me when I got here. I'm thankful for Jill, who always helps me follow through with whatever ridiculous things we come up with to do, and Ann, whose ideas invariably make me think and who fosters lots of Top Model watching. I'm grateful for friends who will go to the opera and the historical society, for friends who will discuss feminism and still like me when I reference Buffy, for friends who remember and continue funny funny jokes (driving reverently! flashlight motion! theoretical professions!). 
  5. My other friends who haven't forgotten me and still get me. I love talking to Lindsey and Miri on facebook and IM and keeping up with other good friends and roommates via blogs, texting, etc. Which brings me to . . .
  6. Technology, especially cell phones and computers. I love that even though I'm far away from anyone who has known me for longer than three months, I can still communicate with all of them on a daily basis - and do in some cases. 
  7. Bloomington. This really is a great town. It's small enough to walk to most of the places I need to be, but it's big enough that there are always things to do and there's always sushi to eat. 
  8. My job. It's really nice that even though my job at the library has sporadic hours and low pay, I still get to eat and pay my rent thanks to good old Overstock Drugstore. 
  9. British Sunday. Just because. 
  10. Dinner group. I love not having to cook most nights, and I love having a reason to cook on my night. 
I'm hoping this will be the first of a few different installments throughout this week, but you know how I am about following through when it comes to things that I'll write more about later. Either way, this is a good start. 

1 comment:

Lin said...

I don't look forward to the day when we can't contact each other the way we do now. I know it will inevitably come (with husbands and children and jobs, etc.) but for now, I'm just really really happy I'm one of those people who gets to text and IM and email you every day. Oh technology.