Monday, November 16, 2009

Puzzling

I have recently become a crossword puzzle fiend. I've always liked them, but now it's this drive to finish my crossword puzzle, and since I have access to the IU paper AND a free New York Times (also USA Today . . . I wonder how their puzzle is?) I sometimes do both.

Here's what I've discovered. There are certain clues or words that end up popping up a lot. Words that really have no business being in multiple cross word puzzles. For example: why has the word "dab" been in the last three IU puzzles I've completed? Why do so many puzzles reference British record company"EMI?" Must we always talk about "scabs" and how they're enemies to unions? (I mean, can't we at least mix it up and talk about scabs as things you pick off your skin once in awhile?) And hey, I watched Family Matters for years, but that doesn't mean that I know how to spell "nerdy Steve's" last name. Today I tried to start it with an E, but since no one grows "seger cane," I figured I was probably wrong.

On the other hand, I do like clues like, "climbing tool for frozen services." (Me: "Crampon! Wait, no . . . only five letters. I'll come back.") How great is it to have "ice ax" in your puzzle? I like it that today the New York Times had "rock and roll," "cock and bull," "lock and load" and "shock and awe" as answers and none of them crossed. I like that I now assume "Spanish 'that' " is always going to be "esa" even though I don't speak Spanish and am fairly certain there's more than one way to say "that." If it's been in more than one puzzle, it's the answer.

Finally, I like that because I'm mostly on campus Monday-Wednesday, I almost never have to remember that I'm not as amazing at crossword puzzles as I think, because I never see the reality check that is the Friday puzzle. Are you kidding me? I did two puzzles today without help! I'm awesome!

3 comments:

Elise said...

and have you ever tried the dictionary.com crossword puzzle? It makes the letters red if they're wrong, so you can do them quite literally in 10 minutes. Joel's and my record is 6 minutes and 30 seconds betweeen the two of us.

p.s. I loved your T.S. Elliot post on Becoming Lovely. I have a soft spot in my heart for that poem. Because of my hippy senior AP english teacher I link that poem in context of Ellison's Invisible Man and Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Greenday. Yeah, awesome.

Trub said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6hY0x6WB-Y&feature=related

We must watch this film over Christmas. Puzzlers of the world unite!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.