Thursday, December 31, 2009

Fear

So remember that time last March when I got in an accident on the freeway in some slushy snow? And then remember how I spent that whole month when it was raining last summer doing some major hyperventilating every time I had to drive in the rain? And remember how when I came back to Utah and had to drive in snow again it was still awful, but it was also awful to ride in cars while there was snow on the ground?
Yeah. That was a good time.
Tonight my family went up to see Sherlock Holmes in Layton, which is about a 20 minute drive. I closed my eyes for pretty much the entire drive and just listened to the crunch under the wheels. I also slid down so that if I had to open my eyes, I couldn't see what the road looked like. My dad explained tonight that sometimes they don't plough the roads in the city because they're hoping they can just salt them and it will melt off without creating any big snow piles on the sides of the road. While in theory this seems like a good idea to me, I can't help but think it's an awful idea every time we come to a stop light and I start panicking because I don't know if our car will slide into the intersection.
Can they help out severe fear of snow driving with therapy? Hypnosis, perhaps? Because I feel like I'm going to have to move somewhere without seasons unless it becomes a little crippling in the near future, and I like seasons.
Sherlock Holmes was great, by the way. As far as I'm concerned, Robert Downey Jr. can keep making huge budget movies forever and I will still go and see them and enjoy them. Especially when they have Jude Law and that guy from Little Dorrit in them.

No comments: